Forty years ago, Rocks appeared to have been a normally-proportioned humanoid. He had long hair that was gathered into tendrils sticking in every direction. He appeared to have worn a sailor's jacket.
Rocks' dream was to become the King of the World (世界の王 Sekai no Ō?), and he attacked many locations and left mass destruction in his wake. He was also very curious about subjects that the World Government had kept hidden, resulting in him dabbling in those subjects.
Abilities and Powers
Although Rocks' individual strength and abilities are unknown, he was well-reputed for presiding over a crew of extremely powerful people. Many of these people would go on to make a name for themselves, and three of them would become Yonko. In fact, he was strong enough to keep the entire crew that consisted of massively powerful members like Big Mom, Kaido, Whitebeard, and Shiki, who were willing to kill each other, showing a testament of his strength and leadership skills. He was also considered to be the most formidable rival of the Pirate King Gol D. Roger, even more so than his subordinate Whitebeard would come to be; it took both Roger and Monkey D. Garp to finally kill Rocks.
Over 40 years ago, Rocks and several other pirates arrived at the island of Hachinosu to meet and seek a path to fame and fortune. As a result of the meeting, Rocks took charge of this group, who called themselves the Rocks Pirates, and led them on a path of destruction with the goal of taking over the world.
38 years before the present, Rocks led his crew on a mission that endangered the World Nobles and their slaves. At God Valley, the Rocks Pirates were intercepted by Monkey D. Garp and Gol D. Roger, who had formed an alliance. A massive battle ensued, and according to Sengoku, Rocks lost his life there.
Many of Rocks' subordinates would go on to become extremely notable pirates, particularly Edward Newgate, Charlotte Linlin, and Kaido, who became three of the Yonko ruling over the New World. Other members like Shiki became an infamous pirate that clashed with the Roger Pirates multiple times and became the first inmate to escape Impel Down and Captain John gathered a fabled treasure.
Rocks' place in history has been considerably diminished in the decades since his death, with many younger Marines being unaware of who he is. According to Sengoku, this lack of knowledge about him is mainly due to the World Government's intervention, as his path resulted in him dabbling in subjects they forbid. Additionally, due to the overall lack of camaraderie within the Rocks Pirates, most of Rocks' past subordinates are not inclined to talk about their time sailing with the crew.
- The name of Rocks may have been taken from the real life pirate Roche Braziliano, which in English translates to 'Rock the Brazilian' from his long exile in Brazil.
- Stelly believed that sitting on the Empty Throne would make one the "King of the World". This may explain why Rocks' ambition led to him being involved with the taboo subjects of the world.
- The Blackbeard Pirates' ship is named the Saber of Xebec. Although no connection between the two has been confirmed, Rocks was shown holding a bladed weapon in Sengoku's flashback.
- a xebec is a type of Mediterranean sailing ship used for trading.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 One Piece Manga — Vol. 95 Chapter 957, Rocks is first seen in a silhouetted image.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 90 Chapter 907 (p. 6), Hina and Garp talk about Rocks.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 90 Chapter 907 (p. 8), The Empty Throne is explained.