Ryokugyu is the alias of an admiral in the Marines. He attained his rank during the two-year timeskip, along with Fujitora, both filling the two admiral vacancies left by Aokiji and Akainu. His real name is currently unknown.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Relationships
- 4 Abilities and Powers
- 5 History
- 6 Major Battles
- 7 Translation and Dub Issues
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
- 10 Site Navigation
Ryokugyu has only been seen silhouetted so far, so his full appearance has yet to be revealed. He does, however, seem very tall (more so than Fujitora who stands at 2.7 m) and has long, wavy, dark hair. He also wears a seemingly typical Marine officer's coat; in the manga, the coat is portrayed with a thick, unfolded, stand-up collar like Fujitora's, but in the anime it appears with a folded one. Also in the anime, Ryokugyu seems to go with his chest at least partially bare.
From what little has been seen so far, Ryokugyu comes off as an extremely laid-back, lazy man not unlike former admiral Aokiji. He did not want to make the effort of following Sakazuki's orders to expel Fujitora from Mary Geoise, both out of alleged concern for the damage a fight between them would wreak and because it would be too much trouble for him. More than that, Ryokugyu views even the act of eating itself as too much work, given his apparent ability to survive without food. Also, he appears to have a liking for beautiful women, talking about how he would eat if a "young lady" were to feed him.
Despite such relaxed disposition, Ryokugyu seems well capable of being serious about his obligations as a military officer should times demand it; as proven by his and Fujitora's confrontation with the Revolutionary Army's commanders and chief of staff.
Fujitora and Ryokugyu appear to be on good terms, as Ryokugyu disregarded Sakazuki's orders to drive Fujitora out of Mary Geoise in favor of having a friendly chat with his fellow admiral.
Given his standing, Ryokugyu is an enemy of the Revolutionary Army. As such, he and Fujitora engaged their chief of staff Sabo and his subordinates when they tried to rescue their former comrade Bartholomew Kuma.
Abilities and Powers
As an admiral, Ryokugyu's authority in the Marines is directly below the fleet admiral's, holding power over any lower-ranked personnel, the ability to command whole fleets, have a say in the overall strategy of the organization, and to issue special orders, like enacting a Buster Call at any time while also granting those of lower status such ability. In general, Ryokugyu can be assumed to hold a great deal of military leadership/coordination skills to be seen as qualified for his rank and the authorities coming with it.
Combat-wise, Ryokugyu, with the other admirals, is thought to constitute the World Government's "Greatest Military Power" (i.e. the three strongest single combatants it can bring to bear), making him one of the world's most powerful people. Both Ryokugyu and Fujitora were stated by Doflamingo to be known as "true monsters" in terms of strength.
During the latest Levely, Ryokugyu and Fujitora engaged in battle with the Revolutionary Army's chief of staff and "No. 2" in strength, Sabo, as well as three Revolutionary commanders, though the result of this confrontation remains unknown.
Ryokugyu has claimed not to have eaten anything in three years. Not only does he maintain the strength to move around and do battle perfectly fine, such supposed feat means he achieved the admiral promotion without any food in his system. How Ryokugyu has been able to do such an extreme feat has yet to be revealed.
- Further information: Haki
Not much is known about Ryokugyu's past, but he claims during the past three years to have completely abstained from eating. Sometime during the two years after the Summit War, Ryokugyu was appointed to the rank of admiral alongside Fujitora, to make up for the two vacancies among the three admiral spots left by Kuzan's resignation and Sakazuki's promotion.
Four Emperors Saga
Ryokugyu was present on the grounds of Mary Geoise's Pangaea Castle as royals from throughout the world arrived to attend the latest Levely. Despite having received orders from Sakazuki to make Fujitora leave, Ryokugyu instead had a friendly conversation with Fujitora concerning Vegapunk and the Seven Warlords of the Sea.
Wano Country Arc
Translation and Dub Issues
The Japanese kanji "牛" in Ryokugyu's alias has various bovine-related translations, e.g. "bull", "cow", "cattle", "ox"; given the basis for said alias (see the Trivia section below), "bull" is the most apt translation.
- In the SBS Volume 73, a fan provided a joke rendering of Ryokugyu's appearance. Oda found it quite bizarre and noted he had already designed the admiral, mentioning he was "super-duper cool" and that he could not wait to draw him.
- Ryokugyu's and Fujitora's animal motifs that are contained in their aliases (bull and tiger respectively) can be interpreted as being based off the Japanese legend of Momotarō, similar to the animal aliases of the original admiral trio. The tiger and bull (ushitora ("ox-tiger") as per the cosmology of onmyōdō) can be seen as representing the northeastern cardinal direction, which is where, in the aforesaid tale, the oni ("ogres") that Momotarō must kill live.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 90 Chapter 905 (p. 14-15) and Episode 882, Ryokugyu debuts as a silhouette.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 72 Chapter 713 (p. 3) and Episode 643, Doflamingo mentions Ryokugyu.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 80 Chapter 801 (p. 8), Ryokugyu's silhouette is first seen.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 92 Chapter 925 (p. 10-11) and Episode 917.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 34 Chapter 319 (p. 4) and Episode 227, The admirals' reputation is revealed.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 38 Chapter 359 (p. 13) and Episode 251, The admirals' ability to issue a Buster Call, and to pass on such authority, is revealed.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 60 Chapter 594 (p. 7) and Episode 511, Dr. Fishbonen states Haki is a power all vice admirals use.
- SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 73 (p. 144), An imagined drawing of Ryokugyu by a fan.
- SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 76 (p. 148), The alias origins of Ryokugyu and Fujitora.