Ryokugyu is the alias of an admiral in the Marines. He attained his rank during the two-year timeskip, along with Fujitora, both filling the two admiral vacancies left by Aokiji and Akainu. His real name is currently unknown.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Relationships
- 4 Abilities and Powers
- 5 History
- 6 Major Battles
- 7 Translation and Dub Issues
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
- 10 Site Navigation
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Ryokugyu has only been seen silhouetted so far, so his full appearance has yet to be revealed. He does, however, seem very tall (more so than Fujitora who stands at 2.7 m) and has a wavy head of long, dark hair, as well as wearing a seemingly typical Marine officer's coat; in the manga, the latter is portrayed with a thick, unfolded, stand-up collar like Fujitora's, but in the anime it appears with a folded one. Also in the anime, Ryokugyu seems to go with his chest at least partially bare.
Personality[edit | edit source]
From what little has been seen so far, Ryokugyu comes off as an extremely laid-back, lazy man not unlike former admiral Aokiji. He did not want to make the effort of following Sakazuki's orders to expel Fujitora from Mary Geoise, both out of alleged concern for the damage a fight between them would cause and the fact that it would be too much trouble for him. More than that, Ryokugyu views even the act of eating itself as too much work, given his apparent ability to survive without food. Also, he appears to have a liking for beautiful women, talking about how he would eat were a "young lady" to feed him.
Despite such relaxed disposition, Ryokugyu seems well capable of being serious about his obligations as a military officer should times demand it; as proven by his and Fujitora's confrontation with the Revolutionary Army's commanders and chief of staff.
Relationships[edit | edit source]
Marines[edit | edit source]
Fujitora[edit | edit source]
Fujitora and Ryokugyu appear to be on good terms, as Ryokugyu disregarded Sakazuki's orders to drive Fujitora out of Mary Geoise in favor of having a friendly chat with his fellow admiral.
Vegapunk[edit | edit source]
Revolutionaries[edit | edit source]
Given his standing, Ryokugyu is an enemy of the Revolutionary Army. As such, he and Fujitora engaged their chief of staff Sabo and his subordinates when they tried to rescue their former comrade Bartholomew Kuma.
Abilities and Powers[edit | edit source]
Overview[edit | edit source]
As an admiral, Ryokugyu's authority in the Marines is directly below the fleet admiral's, holding authority over the many thousands of lower-ranked soldiers, the power to command whole fleets, to have a say in the overall strategy of the organization, and to issue special orders, like enacting a Buster Call at any time while also granting those of lower status such ability. In general, Ryokugyu can be assumed to hold a great deal of military leadership/coordination skills to be seen as qualified for his rank and the authorities coming with it.
Combat-wise, Ryokugyu with the other admirals is thought to constitute the World Government's "Greatest Military Power" (i.e. the three strongest single combatants it can offer), making him one of the world's most powerful people. Both Ryokugyu and Fujitora were stated by Doflamingo to be known as "true monsters" in terms of strength.
During the latest Levely, Ryokugyu and Fujitora engaged in a battle with Sabo, the Revolutionary Army's chief of staff and "No. 2" in strength, as well as three Revolutionary commanders, though the result of this confrontation remains unknown.
Physical Abilities[edit | edit source]
Ryokugyu has claimed not to have eaten anything in three years. Not only does he maintain the strength to move around and do battle perfectly fine, such supposed feat means he achieved the admiral promotion without any food in his system. How Ryokugyu has been able to do such an extreme fast has yet to be revealed.
Haki[edit | edit source]
- Further information: Haki
History[edit | edit source]
Past[edit | edit source]
Not much is known about Ryokugyu's past, but he claims during the past three years to have completely refrained from eating. Sometime during the two years after the Summit War, Ryokugyu was appointed to the rank of admiral alongside Fujitora, to make up for the two vacancies among the three admiral spots left by Kuzan's resignation and Sakazuki's promotion.
Levely Arc[edit | edit source]
Ryokugyu was present on the grounds of Mary Geoise's Pangaea Castle as royals from throughout the world arrived to attend the latest Levely. He had a friendly conversation with Fujitora concerning Vegapunk despite having received orders from Sakazuki to make Fujitora leave.
Wano Country Arc[edit | edit source]
On the fourth day of the Levely, Ryokugyu and Fujitora battled against Sabo and his group composed of three of the Revolutionary Army's commanders, who had infiltrated Mary Geoise.
Major Battles[edit | edit source]
Translation and Dub Issues[edit | edit source]
The Japanese kanji "牛" in Ryokugyu's alias has various bovine-related translations, e.g. "bull", "cow", "cattle", "ox"; given the basis for said alias (see the Trivia section below), "bull" is the most apt translation.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the SBS Volume 73, a fan provided a joke rendering of Ryokugyu's appearance. Oda found it quite bizarre and noted he had already designed the admiral, mentioning he was "super-duper cool" and that he could not wait to draw him.
- Ryokugyu's and Fujitora's animal motifs that are contained in their aliases (bull and tiger respectively) can be interpreted as being based off the Japanese legend of Momotarō, similar to the animal aliases of the original admiral trio. The tiger and bull ("ushitora" (ox-tiger) as per the cosmology of onmyōdō) can be seen as representing the northeastern cardinal direction, which is where, in the aforesaid tale, the oni (ogres) that Momotarō must kill live.
References[edit | edit source]
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 90 Chapter 905 (p. 14-15) and Episode 882, Ryokugyu debuts as a silhouette.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 72 Chapter 713 (p. 3) and Episode 643, Doflamingo mentions Ryokugyu.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 80 Chapter 801 (p. 8), Ryokugyu's silhouette is first seen.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 92 Chapter 925 (p. 10-11) and Episode 917.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 34 Chapter 319 (p. 4) and Episode 227, The admirals' reputation is revealed.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 38 Chapter 359 (p. 13) and Episode 251, The admirals' ability to issue a Buster Call, and to pass on such authority, is revealed.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 60 Chapter 594 (p. 7) and Episode 511, Dr. Fishbonen states Haki is a power all vice admirals use.
- SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 73 (p. 144), An imagined drawing of Ryokugyu by a fan.
- SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 76 (p. 148), The alias origins of Ryokugyu and Fujitora.