- Ryū (竜?) is Japanese for "dragon" and can be found in the Japanese term for "dinosaur" (恐竜 kyōryū?).
Strengths and Weaknesses
The major strength of this fruit is that it allows the user to turn into a brachiosaurus, a very large and heavy-bodied sauropod dinosaur from the prehistoric era, granting them an immense boost to their size and bulk. Their size is comparable to that of a giant, as a fully-transformed Queen is shown to tower over Big Mom, who herself is extremely tall at over 8 meters.
Due to the signature long neck of the brachiosaurus, the user is able to reach targets that may be further away than they normally can by chomping down on them. The long neck and tail of the brachiosaurus form can also be employed as bludgeoning weapons in battle. The user's immense weight can be used as a weapon too, as very little will be able to withstand the crushing pressure of their massive transformed body.
In addition, the brachiosaurus apparently has the natural yet unusual ability to separate the head, elongated neck and tail from the rest of the body and have them act independently. The neck and tail form a snake-like component and can coil around opponents and crush them with immense pressure. However, the remaining torso and legs would be of little use without external modifications.
Like other Ancient Zoans, this fruit also grant enhanced strength and durability, to a much greater degree due to a brachiosaur's immense size. Even someone as powerful as Tony Tony Chopper in his strongest form, the Monster Point, is unable to truly harm Queen despite having enough strength to swing around the latter's brachiosaurus form. Similarly, Big Mom, one of the most powerful combatants in the entire world, was only able to knock Queen out for a few minutes, at which point Queen recovered relatively quickly with no lasting injuries. Notably, Queen could easily withstand Sanji's extremely powerful kicks which can destroy even Pacifistas as well as having his own advanced artillery misfired at himself without any significant damage.
No weaknesses are currently known aside from the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
Queen uses this fruit in combat in a variety of ways, from jumping onto Big Mom in an attempt to crush her with his full body weight to grabbing Monkey D. Luffy and Roronoa Zoro with his mouth from afar.
As a cyborg, Queen is capable of augmenting the capabilities of his Devil Fruit through his technological implants, using both of them in conjunction to improve his overall battling prowess. In full Beast Form, Queen has various weapons equipped into his mouth and upper torso areas, such as a Gatling gun, retractable needle-like fangs, a laser beam projector, and a built-in, extendable metal cord in his neck that lets it stretch further than normal, drastically increasing his reach. In addition, his torso is equipped with two rocket launchers than are activated via voice recognition.
In his Human-Beast Form, Queen displays even more visible mechanical appendages, like having his braided hair, tail and left arm turn into mechanical, clawed tentacles. Also, because he is now bipedal, he becomes capable of wielding one of his dao swords for combat. This form is considered to be particularly dangerous, as members of the Beasts Pirates panicked and retreated upon seeing him transform into it.
- Brachio Bomber (
無頼男爆弾Burakio Bomuba?, literally meaning "Hoodlum Man Bomb"): Queen dives from a high place and lands headfirst on his opponent, crushing them under the immense weight of his full brachiosaurus form. It was first used against Big Mom, managing to inflict enough pain to her to recover from her amnesia and then pass out, although she was unharmed otherwise. The kanji in the name possibly represents a pun: 無頼男 (literally meaning "hoodlum man"?) could be read as buraio, resembling the Japanese pronunciation of "brachio" (ブラキオ burakio?).
- Black Coffee (ブラック
光火Burakku Kōhī?, literally meaning "Black Light Flame"): In his Full Beast Form, Queen fires a laser beam from his mouth or tail, while in his human-beast form he can fire it (individually or simultaneously) from either his mouth, mechanical arm, hair, or tail. The beam works similarly to the ones used by the Pacifista and Franky's "Radical Beam", generating an explosion after hitting a surface. Queen first attempted to use this move against Hyogoro, but he was interrupted by Marco before he could fire it, causing Queen to target the Whitebeard pirate with this move instead. However, the technique was not named until Queen used it against Chopper. This technique's name is a pun on the fact that the kanji characters for "Light Flame" (光火) can be read as kō hi, which resembles the Japanese pronunciation of "coffee" (コーヒー kōhī?). The pronunciation of "black" (burakku) is also similar to the "brachio" (burakio) prefix that is consistent with Queen's brachiosaur theme. In the Viz translation, this is called Black Coffee Beam, which is possibly a pun on "coffee bean".
- Bridal Grapper (ブライダル
熱拳Buraidaru Gurappā?, literally meaning "Bridal Heat Fist"): While in Human-Beast form, Queen heats up his mechanical hair claw and attempts to grab a target while burning them with it. This move was first attempted on Roronoa Zoro, but Sanji intervened and countered the move with his own Diable Jambe. The pronunciation of "bridal" (buraidaru) is similar to the "brachio" (burakio) prefix that is consistent with Queen's brachiosaur theme. In the Viz translation, this is called Bridal Grabber.
- Bry Pan (
風来拳Burai Pan?, literally meaning "Erratic Fist"): Queen rapidly punches with his hair claw, tail claw, and left arm claw. This was first used against Sanji. The name of the technique is a pun on "fry pan", with the initial syllable altered to mimic the pronunciation of "brachio" (burakio). In addition, the kanji characters for "erratic" (風来) would normally be read as fūrai, resembling the Japanese pronunciation of "fry" (フライ furai?). In the Viz translation, this is called Flying Pan.
- Brachiojaurus (ブラキオ
蛇ウルス Burakiojaurusu?, literally meaning "Brachio-snake-urus"): In full brachiosaurus form, Queen lifts his tail to ready himself for the technique, and from there, launches his inner, snake-like body from his torso and legs. This is supposedly a true, unaltered ability of the brachiosaurus. In the Viz translation, this is called Brachiosnakeus.
- Brachiotoguros (ブラキオとぐロス Burakiotogurosu?, literally meaning "Brachio-coil-os"): Queen coils around his opponent like a snake, exerting immense pressure on their bones and organs. He claims that this technique will crush even masters of Busoshoku Haki. This was first used against Sanji, who managed to survive the technique due to his body awakening new powers. In the Viz translation, this is called Brachiocoilus.
- Brachio Launcher (ブラキオランチャー Burakio Ranchā"?): Queen activates rocket launchers equipped to his torso via a voice command. This was first used against Sanji, though Queen accidentally also hit himself by mentioning the "Brachio Launchers", which activated the voice recognition.
- Queen is sometimes erroneously drawn without his prosthetic in brachiosaurus form. A notable example of this happens when he's using Brachio Bomber on Big Mom during Chapter 947.
- Queen's full brachiosaurus form for some reason features a full set of sharp teeth, even though the brachiosaurus was a well known plant-eating dinosaur and thus had flatter teeth instead for chewing vegetation.
- Queen's brachiosaurus form apparently lacks a head crest which an actual brachiosaurus had.
- Queen's claim about the brachiosaurus' "true" serpentine body mirrors Sasaki's claim that the triceratops was a natural propeller flyer, both being anatomical impossibilities being used as visual gags for comedic purposes. This trend continues with King's claim that the Pteranodon hunted by stretching its head back like a slingshot.
- Brachiosaurus – Wikipedia article about the brachiosaurus.