Etymology[edit | edit source]
- Ryū (竜?) is Japanese for "dragon" and can be found in the Japanese term for "dinosaur", kyōryū (恐竜?), and dinosaur-related terms, such as yokuryū (翼竜? "pterosaur").
Strengths and Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
A user of this fruit's power is able to turn into a pteranodon, a large and powerful, flight-capable reptile from the prehistoric era. When transformed, they become able to travel through the air at tremendous speed, covering large distances within short time spans, and enjoy a significant boost to their overall physical parameters, as to be expected of a predatory Ancient Zoan type. Additionally, the full-beast form as displayed by King is notably big, several times larger than an average-sized human (though it is worth noting that King is already much larger than normal people in his humanoid form).
The combination of great (flight) speed, strength, and size conferred by the transformation allows the user to cause notable damage to whatever they fly into beak-first, both to objects and living beings, their beak representing a strong and stury pointed weapon.
No weaknesses are currently known of this ability beside the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
Usage[edit | edit source]
King mainly seems to rely on his ability for battle, namely aerial combat (apart from the power's general suitability for flight-based travel). He is able, in his full-beast form, to fly into objects with immense speed and force, potentially damaging them greatly in the process. When flying into the Queen Mama Chanter, such midair collision (with a flaming kick in the anime) knocked the enormous ship back with enough force to throw off Big Mom herself. Later, King was shown to present a danger to the Raid Suit-wearing Sanji by diving into him with his strong, sharp-pointed beak, challenging said suit's defenses to the point that King claimed he would split his foe in half upon impact (something he ultimately failed at due to the suit proving too durable).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- King possessing this fruit's ability and his "Conflagration" epithet evokes a resemblance to the kaiju Fire Rodan, a pteranodon residing in a volcano, which is among the major reoccurring kaiju in the Godzilla franchise.
- This is the second Ancient Zoan Devil Fruit not based on a dinosaur, the first being the Zou Zou no Mi, Model: Mammoth, although unlike the other, it still falls under the Ryu Ryu no Mi series.
- Despite not being dinosaurs, pterosaurs are still close cousins to them. The two families are part of the "Avemetatarsalia" clade from which only three families are known to have come from.
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Pteranodon – Wikipedia article about pteranodons.
[edit | edit source]