- Ryū (竜?) is Japanese for "dragon" and can be found in the Japanese term for "dinosaur" (恐竜 kyōryū?).
Strengths and WeaknessesEdit
The major strength of this fruit is that it allows the user to turn into a spinosaurus, a large and powerful semi-aquatic predator from the prehistoric era. This makes the fruit well-suited for combat purposes, since carnivorous Zoans are said to be fiercer fighters than non-carnivorous ones.
The fruit gives its user tremendous strength, particularly in their jaw, tail, and arms (in hybrid form) as shown when Page One smashed and tore apart buildings in the Flower Capital and sent Sanji flying away with ease.
No weaknesses are currently known aside from the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
Currently, Page One has not been seen using this fruit outside of his spinosaurus form. He uses this fruit to great effect during combat and when going on the offensive, as shown when he went on a destructive rampage through the Flower Capital to look for Sanji.
- Spinosaurus was a semi-aquatic dinosaur built primarily for fishing. Similar to the amphibious Devil Fruit Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl, this is another species that is impacted by the Devil Fruits apparent weakness.
- In comparison to X Drake's Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Allosaurus, which is based on another theropod dinosaur and is more in line with late 20th century depictions of theropods, Oda's depiction of Spinosaurus is much more modern. It is based on the 2014 reconstruction of the dinosaur with shorter backlegs. Spinosaurus has little in the way of older depictions in comparison to Allosaurus that interfere with its media portrayal; the only remains of the theropod were destroyed in World War II and and it took decades to find another set of fossils, and when they were found they instantly dismissed any previous versions due to the incorrectness of those versions.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 92 Chapter 929 (p. 17-18), Page One's power is shown.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 37 Chapter 349 (p. 6) and Episode 246.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 One Piece Manga — Vol. 92 Chapter 930 (p. 14-17).
- Spinosaurus – Wikipedia article about spinosauruses.