- Ryū (竜?) is Japanese for "dragon" and can be found in the Japanese term for "dinosaur" (恐竜 kyōryū?).
Strengths and Weaknesses
This fruit bestows the power to turn into a spinosaurus, a large and powerful, semiaquatic predator from the prehistoric era (Considered to be the largest predatory dinosaur), as well as a hybrid between a spinosaurus and human (or other) at will.
As with other dinosaur-based Zoan types, transforming into a spinosaurus grants the user tremendous strength, particularly in their jaws, tail, arms and claws (the latter in Human-Beast form). In his Beast form, Page One is able to smash and tear apart buildings and stone with ease using his maw and tail. In his Human-Beast hybrid form, he is strong enough to send a Raid Suit-donning Sanji flying and crashing through several buildings with a single swipe of his arm.
Being a dinosaur Zoan, this fruit bestows much greater durability than standard Zoan types do, allowing Page One to endure attacks from powerful fighters like Monkey D. Luffy or Sanji in combat. Against physically weaker opponents (such as Nami or Usopp), Page One can withstand multiple attacks in a row with little visible discomfort. So far, only someone at the level of the Four Emperors has been able to deal significant damage to him.
Page One's increase in size for his Full Beast form may be a problem if he ends up fighting indoors, particularly structures that are not built to accomodate his ability. Aside from that, no weaknesses are currently known aside from the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
Page One uses this fruit to great effect during combat and when going on the offensive. He is a straightforward fighter who fights with bites, claw and tail swipes while in Beast Form. In his Human-Beast form, which provides him with sharp claws on his hands, he favors slashing attacks instead and is able to cling to things bigger than him.
Notably, Page One seems to prefer fighting through his Beast form, especially when paired with his sister Ulti, who in her case tends to stick to her Human-Beast form.
- After a new fossil discovery (as of April 2020) suggested that the ancient Spinosaurus's tail was more akin to a paddle to allegedly aid the creature during swimming, Oda updated the design of the tail, making it thinner and with taller inner spines, for a paddle- or fin-like shape.
- The above is the second physical change that Page One's full Beast Form has undergone since its debut. The first was the protruding, V-shaped eyebrow ridge that was not present in Page One's introduction in Chapter 929.
- In comparison to X Drake's Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Allosaurus, which is based on another theropod dinosaur and more in line with late-20th-century depictions of theropods, Oda's depiction of Page One's Spinosaurus form is much more modern. It is based on the 2014 reconstruction of the dinosaur with shorter backlegs. Generally, the Spinosaurus has, compared to the Allosaurus, little in the way of older depictions that interfere with its media portrayal; the only remains of the theropod were destroyed in World War II, and it took decades to find another set of fossils, and when they were found any previous reconstructions were instantly dismissed due to the presented findings being accused of being incorrect. The presented "correct" skeleton was accused of being a chimera, made of more than one skeleton which caused further problems with depictions in media, including One Piece until the update in April 2020.
- Spinosaurus was a semi-aquatic dinosaur built primarily for fishing. This makes this fruit the second Zoan based on a semi-aquatic species despite the principal Devil Fruit weakness to water, the first being the amphibious-based Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 92 Chapter 929 (p. 17-18) and Episode 923, Page One's power is shown.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 92 Chapter 930 (p. 13-15) and Episode 924.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 92 Chapter 931 (p. 9) and Episode 925.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 97 Chapter 984 (p. 2), Page One claims Luffy's Elephant Gun only managed to loose up his jaw a bit.
- One Piece Manga — Chapter 1011.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 97 Chapter 983 (p. 14), ep
- SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 97 (p. 136).
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 97 Chapter 983 (p. 11-12).
- Spinosaurus – Wikipedia article about spinosauruses.