- Ryū (竜?) is Japanese for "dragon" and can be found in the Japanese term for "dinosaur" (恐竜 kyōryū?).
Strengths and WeaknessesEdit
The major strength of this fruit is that it allows the user to turn into a spinosaurus, a large and powerful semi-aquatic predator from the prehistoric era.
The fruit gives its user tremendous strength, particularly in their jaw, tail, and arms (in hybrid form). Page One is able to smash and tear apart buildings with ease, being strong enough to send even Sanji flying with a swipe of his arm.
No weaknesses are currently known aside from the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
Page One uses this fruit to great effect during combat and when going on the offensive, starting a destructive rampage in order to lure out Sanji.
- Spinosaurus was a semi-aquatic dinosaur built primarily for fishing. Similar to the amphibious Devil Fruit Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl, this is another species that is impacted by the Devil Fruits apparent weakness.
- In comparison to X Drake's Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Allosaurus, which is based on another theropod dinosaur and is more in line with late 20th century depictions of theropods, Oda's depiction of Spinosaurus is much more modern. It is based on the 2014 reconstruction of the dinosaur with shorter backlegs. Spinosaurus has little in the way of older depictions in comparison to Allosaurus that interfere with its media portrayal; the only remains of the theropod were destroyed in World War II and and it took decades to find another set of fossils, and when they were found they instantly dismissed any previous versions due to the incorrectness of those versions.
- In Chapter 983, Page One's full beast form now features a different tail that's thinner and with taller spines similar to the ones on his back. This reflects a new fossil discovery (as of April 2020) suggesting that the ancient Spinosaurus' tail was more akin to a paddle, which allegedly aided the creature during swimming.
- This is actually the second physical change Page One's full beast form has undergone since his introduction in Chapter 929. The first was the v-shaped protrusion found in his eyebrow area that was not present in his debut.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 92 Chapter 929 (p. 17-18) and Episode 923, Page One's power is shown.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 92 Chapter 930 (p. 13-15) and Episode 924.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 92 Chapter 931 (p. 9) and Episode 925.
- Spinosaurus – Wikipedia article about spinosauruses.