FANDOM

5,789 Pages

For the chapter of the same name, see Chapter 690.

SAD is a substance produced in a lab within Punk Hazard, D Block, and kept within a huge metal vat.

It was first alluded to in a conversation by Vergo,[2] before being revealed to be Trafalgar Law's true objective on Punk Hazard.[3]

AppearanceEdit

Full SAD Mechanism

The full SAD mechanism in the manga.

When it was first seen, SAD was being kept in a large metallic vat hooked up to several tubes and a prominent nuclear symbol on it. After the vat holding the refined SAD was split open by Law, the substance is revealed to be somewhat of a foamy mixture similar to wax.[1]

PropertiesEdit

SAD is a particularly unique substance and it is one of the few things needed to create SMILEs, artificial Zoan Devil Fruits.[4] According to Shinobu, the SAD formula is still incomplete. Thus, the SMILE fruits it produced have an extremely high risk factor; only a 10% chance of success in granting artificial Zoan-like enhancements to consumers, with a 90% majority not getting any powers and only suffering the side effects. While successful SMILE’s mimic a real Devil Fruits weakness of taking away the eaters ability to swim, the duds, in addition to taking away the eaters ability to swim, have an added side effect of taking away the eaters ability to express negative emotions, causing them to constantly smile and laugh, regardless of how they actually feel.[5]

Caesar Clown is the only person in the world who knows how to manufacture SAD, and he created it via the practical application of Vegapunk's[6] and Vinsmoke Judge's[7] discovery of the universal genetic blueprint: the Lineage Factor.[6] As such, SAD is very valuable, so much so that Donquixote Doflamingo instantly figured out Law's intentions regarding the SAD storage room, being aware that its destruction would have been disastrous to his underworld empire.[8]

It has the potential to cause anarchy within the New World, depending on the one who wields it.[2] It also might have some radioactive properties, as the symbol for radioactive substances appeared on the tank Law was looking at; and Law himself noted that the laboratory will soon explode after the state he left the SAD production room in.[9][10]

HistoryEdit

Punk Hazard ArcEdit

SAD Room Cut in Half

The SAD production room destroyed.

Vergo arrived on Punk Hazard shortly after catching a ride on a SAD tanker ship that was leaving from Dressrosa.[2]

Trafalgar Law apparently went through great lengths to gain access to the SAD production room on Punk Hazard, joining the Shichibukai and then forming an alliance with the Straw Hat Pirates.[3] He eventually succeeded amidst the chaos in the research facility, but Vergo contacted Doflamingo and reported it. Vergo was ordered to stop Law from taking the SAD and execute him for his betrayal,[8] which leads to the two of them battling in the production room.[11]

After Law and Smoker engaged and defeated Vergo, Law broke the production machines, crippling the production of SAD.[1] Due to this, afterwards the entire room exploded with Vergo inside of it.[10]

Dressrosa ArcEdit

Despite the destruction of the production facility in Punk Hazard and Caesar's captivity, the Donquixote Pirates still possessed a decent quantity of SAD in their factory, as the dwarves continued their labor of cultivating SMILEs.[12] Ultimately, the remaining SAD supply, along with the SMILE Factory, were all destroyed when the dwarves rose up in revolt.[13]

TriviaEdit

  • SAD is similar to the Joker Venom from DC Comics, as both were created by someone with the moniker of "Joker" (Joker and Doflamingo) and cause a permanent grin with its victims.

ReferencesEdit

  1. 1.0 1.1 1.2 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 69 Chapter 690 (p. 17) and Episode 616, The physical form of SAD is seen when Law slices through the production room.
  2. 2.0 2.1 2.2 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 68 Chapter 672 (p. 4) and Episode 598, Vergo says he came from Dressrosa on an SAD Tanker.
  3. 3.0 3.1 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 69 Chapter 681 (p. 19) and Episode 607, Vergo realizes Law's objective to get to SAD.
  4. One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 69 Chapter 689 (p. 16) and Episode 615, Caesar Talks about his dealings.
  5. One Piece Manga — Vol. 94 Chapter 943 (p. 10), Shinobu Talks about SAD side effects.
  6. 6.0 6.1 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 70 Chapter 698 (p. 16-17) and Episode 625, Law explains what he knows about SAD and SMILEs to the Straw Hats.
  7. One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 84 Chapter 840 (p. 3) and Episode 802, Yonji talks about Judge's past.
  8. 8.0 8.1 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 69 Chapter 682 (p. 7-9) and Episode 608, Doflamingo and Vergo talk about SAD.
  9. One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 70 Chapter 691 (p. 9) and Episode 617, Law leave the SAD lab.
  10. 10.0 10.1 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 70 Chapter 694 (p. 8) and Episode 620, The SAD laboratory explodes.
  11. One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 69 Chapter 683 (p. 14-19) and Episode 609, Law and Vergo in the SAD laboratory.
  12. One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 74 Chapter 738 (p. 4-7) and Episode 671, Dwarves continued to produce SMILEs.
  13. One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 78 Chapter 779 (p. 5-6) and Episode 720, The Tontatta dwarves destroy the SMILE Factory.

Site NavigationEdit

[v · e · ?]
Scientists
Canon: Vegapunk  •  Franky  •  Tsukimi  •  Haredas  •  Indigo  •  Caesar Clown  •  Willie Gallon  •  Vinsmoke Judge  •  Lindbergh
Non-canon: Niphtal  •  Fang  •  Henzo  •  Ratchet  •  Myskina Acier  •  Bolam  •  Bürst  •  Misutta  •  Bonbon  •  Wolf  •  Isaac
Abilities
Devil Fruit Based: Gasu Gasu no Mi  •  Nito Nito no Mi   •  Hore Hore no Mi 
Weapon Based: Battle Frankies (Cyborg Tactics   •  Armored Me  •  General Franky (Kurosai FR-U IV  •  Brachio Tank V))  •  H2S  •  Shinokuni  •  Raid Suit
Related Terms
Researches: Cyborgs  •  Pacifista (Bartholomew Kuma  •  PX-Z)  •  Automata  •  SAD  •  Devil Fruit (Artificial Devil Fruit  •  SMILE)  •  Weather Science  •  Gigantification  •  Lineage Factor  •  Cloning  •  Modified Humans  •  Pure Gold 
Locations: Water 7  •  Weatheria  •  Karakuri Island  •  Punk Hazard  •  Germa Kingdom
[v · e · ?]
Punk Hazard
Master: Caesar Clown 
Affiliates: Donquixote Doflamingo   •  Vergo   •  Trafalgar Law   •  Beasts Pirates  •  Big Mom Pirates   •  Fire Tank Pirates 
Subordinates: Former Brownbeard Pirates  (Chadros Higelyges )  •  Centaur Patrol Unit (Smooge  •  Fen Bock  •  Chappe  •  Run)  •  Yeti Cool Brothers  •  Dragons (Dragon Number Thirteen)  •  Monet   •  Smiley 
Gigantification Research: Numbers (Jaki  •  Nangi  •  Hatcha)  •  Kozuki Momonosuke  •  Mocha  •  Sind  •  Doran  •  Ally  •  Uzu  •  Konbu  •  Biyo  •  Ginko
Vehicles: Flying Gas Balloon
Abilities
Devil Fruit Based: Gasu Gasu no Mi   •  Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl   •  Yuki Yuki no Mi   •  Ope Ope no Mi 
Related Articles
Story Arc: Punk Hazard Arc
Substances: NHC10  •  KYP  •  H2S  •  Shinokuni  •  SAD  •  Koro
Others: Third Research Institute  •  Underworld  •  Centaurs  •  Seven Warlords of the Sea  •  Vegapunk
[v · e · ?]
Donquixote Pirates
Captain: Donquixote Doflamingo
Elite Officers: Vergo   •  Trebol  •  Diamante  •  Pica  •  Corazon  
Officers: Sugar  •  Violet   •  Giolla  •  Lao G  •  Senor Pink  •  Machvise  •  Dellinger  •  Gladius  •  Buffalo  •  Baby 5   •  Monet 
Other Members: Trafalgar Law   •  Kyuin   •  Lambor Bukini 
Subordinates: Bellamy   •  Bellamy Pirates   •  Caesar Clown   •  Disco   •  Homey  
Allies: Beasts Pirates (Kaido  •  Ibusu  •  Gran Tesoro (Gild Tesoro 
Ship(s): Numancia Flamingo  •  SAD Tanker 
Abilities
Devil Fruit Based: Ito Ito no Mi  •  Beta Beta no Mi  •  Hira Hira no Mi  •  Ishi Ishi no Mi  •  Nagi Nagi no Mi *   •  Hobi Hobi no Mi  •  Giro Giro no Mi   •  Ato Ato no Mi  •  Sui Sui no Mi  •  Ton Ton no Mi  •  Pamu Pamu no Mi  •  Guru Guru no Mi  •  Buki Buki no Mi   •  Yuki Yuki no Mi   •  Bane Bane no Mi   •  Gasu Gasu no Mi   •  Gutsu Gutsu no Mi 
Fighting Style Based: Haki  •  Rokushiki  •  Jio-Ken
Related Articles
Story Arcs: Jaya Arc  •  Long Ring Long Land Arc  •  Sabaody Archipelago Arc  •  Marineford Arc  •  Punk Hazard Arc  •  Dressrosa Arc
Specials: Episode of Sabo
Movies: One Piece Film: Gold *
Locations: Spider Miles  •  Rakesh  •  Mock Town  •  Human Auctioning House  •  Punk Hazard  •  Dressrosa (Acacia  •  Corrida Colosseum  •  Sebio  •  Flower Field  •  SMILE Factory)  •  Green Bit  •  Mary Geoise  •  Paradise Island  
Belongings: Mera Mera no Mi   •  Gol Gol no Mi  
Others: Seven Warlords of the Sea  •  SAD  •  SMILE  •  Toys  •  World Noble (Donquixote Family)  •  Ope Ope no Mi  •  Heart Pirates  •  Russian  •  Gimlet
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.