They were formerly manufactured by Donquixote Doflamingo and Caesar Clown and were monopolized and consumed by the members of the Beasts Pirates, which created the classifications of the Gifters, the Pleasures, and the Waiters.
SMILEs do not have individual names like the standard Devil Fruits, and are instead referred to as "(Animal species) no SMILE". In the English Sub, they are referred to as "(Animal species) SMILE".
SMILEs resemble the artificial Devil Fruit that Vegapunk created; they are colorful fruits resembling apples that have spots of a different color all over them, and those spots have another spot inside each of them.
- Further information: SMILE Factory
The key ingredient required to concoct the artificial fruits is SAD, a chemical substance that only Caesar Clown knows how to manufacture. As such, the production of these fake Devil Fruits requires Caesar's cooperation. After Caesar produced the SAD in his lab on Punk Hazard, it was then transferred to the SMILE Factory in Dressrosa and processed into SMILEs.
The manufacturing process of the SMILE Factory involves having luminescent sunflowers on the ceiling that provide light to the ordinary fruit trees growing in the factories indoor orchard. Additionally, the SAD is poured into an indoor river. The river feeds into irrigation canals that channel the river under the trees in order to feed them the chemical, modifying the fruits that grow from them. The spots seems to be an indicator for the fruit becoming a SMILE, and while mid-growing, the bottom half of the fruit lacks the telltale spots.
Due to the Tontatta Tribe's dwarves specializing in plants, they were forced into labor in the factory producing SMILEs. It appears that the Tontatta could only produce one viable fruit out of every ten SMILEs, they themselves noting the unorthodox nature of the fruit complicating the success rate. As incentive to increase their rate of production, they were made believe that it was medication for their sick Princess Mansherry; the dwarves' gullibility led them to believe this lie.
With the destruction of both the SMILE factory and SAD supply, the production of SMILEs has stopped.
A SMILE fruit is intended to grant the consumer the power of animal transformation, much like a Zoan-type Devil Fruit. Like normal Devil Fruits, SMILEs render those who consume them unable to swim. It has been noted that, unlike real Devil Fruits, SMILE Fruits actually taste good.
SMILEs do appear to grant enhanced physical abilities, much like real Zoan fruits, as seen when the members of the Armored Division were able to hold down the strong, massive General Franky mech suit. SMILE users can also gain certain abilities of their animal, such as Batman gaining the sharp hearing of a bat, Alpacaman being able to spit his saliva with high speed and force like an Alpaca, and Gazelleman having the ability to run very fast like a gazelle. Of course, there is the possibility that a SMILE user will possess animal abilities that go beyond their level of resilience; Gazelleman is not granted the endurance of a gazelle, meaning that running fast will make him very exhausted.
Even with the increased strength and animal abilities bestowed by the SMILEs, many, if not all of these artificial Devil Fruits appear to be greatly inferior in strength compared to real Devil Fruits.
As noted by Law, SMILEs, being artificial, do have side effects. Due to the faulty chemicals used to make them, only one out of every ten SMILE fruits will successfully grant Zoan-like abilities. The other 90% of people who consume one will not receive a power, and on top of losing the ability to swim, they permanently become unable to express negative emotions, being forced to smile and laugh all of the time regardless of how they actually feel, even while getting hurt in battle or if someone they care about dies. As opposed to real Devil Fruits, which lose their power after the first bite is taken and become ordinary disgusting fruits, the failed SMILE fruits maintain there side effects after being partially eaten, so anyone who eats from one after the initial consumer has already eaten part of it will also lose their ability to express any emotion other than joy.
Notably, SMILE users are susceptible to Tama's Devil Fruit power, which allows her to tame animals by feeding them the treats that she can create, meaning that if they are fed Tama's kibi dango, they will become her obedient subordinates.
Differences from Natural Zoans
While normal Zoan users can fully transform into an animal, as well as being able to take on a hybrid form, SMILE users have demonstrated the ability to turn certain parts of their body into parts of the animal's body. In some cases, the animal body part corresponds to the human body part, such as Alpacaman having an alpaca head in place of his human head, or Madilloman having an armadillo shell on his back. It is also possible for the animal body parts to have non-corresponding placement, such as Sheepshead turning his hands into the horns of a ram, and other Gifters turning their hands into animal heads or having an animal growing from the top of their head in place of hair. These two circumstances are not mutually exclusive; it is possible for someone to possess animal traits in both corresponding and non-corresponding locations. An example of this is the scorpion SMILE user Daifugo, who has both multiple scorpion-like legs where he would have two human legs and a scorpion stinger at the end of his hair. However some transformations are so extreme, that it actually looks more like the human is growing out of the animal rather than the other way round, such as Fourtricks, whose transformations seem more like a human face and arms are growing out of a roosters rear.
One potential side effect is that instead of having animal features or limbs, some users will instead have an actual animal growing out of their body, as seen with Holdem's lion, whose head and arms are protruding from Holdem's midsection. Animals such as these will have a mind of their own, and this can be painful or even dangerous for the user as said animal may inconvenience, resist, or even attack its own host. However, since the animal half shares the same body as its user, it will share any pain its host receives, which will keep the animal from attacking its host too often.
SMILE users who gain non-sentient animal part transformations, such as Sheepsheads sheep horns and Sarahebi's snake-like neck and fangs, have the ability to activate and deactivate their transformations at will. Alternatively, users who gain sentient animal heads growing out of their body, such as Babanuki's elephant and Mizerka's gorilla, do not have such an ability and their body is permanently altered. It has been indicated that users can achieve advanced control over their powers, but it is uncertain what that looks like. Since some animal transformations have their own sentience, a few SMILE users may very well give them a name, even though they share the same body, examples being Holdem and Mizerka, who've named their animal transformations Kamijiro and Gorishiro respectively.
SMILE users have been seen with the attributes and abilities of a large variety of animals, from mammals to reptiles to insects to crustaceans. SMILEs can also result in multiple copies of the same animal appearing among its consumers, in contrast to real Devil Fruits, of which there is only one of each in the entire world. Of course, the animal traits can manifest in different ways, even for the same animal. For example, one person might have a snake in place of their hand while another might have a snake growing out of their navel.
So far, only regular modern day animals have been seen among SMILE users. It is currently unknown if Ancient-type and Mythical-type SMILEs do not exist or do exist and simply haven’t been seen yet.
The following SMILE types are listed in order of appearance:
- Sheep SMILE (
羊の SMILEHitsuji no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Sheep Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a sheep.
- Mouse SMILE (ネズミの
SMILENezumi no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Mouse Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a mouse.
- Bat SMILE (コウモリの
SMILEKōmori no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Bat Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a bat.
- Gazelle SMILE (ガゼルの
SMILEGazeru no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Gazelle Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a Gazelle.
- Lion SMILE (ライオンの
SMILERaion no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Lion Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a lion.
- Horse SMILE (ウマの
SMILEUma no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Horse Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a horse.
- Hippopotamus SMILE (カバの
SMILEKaba no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Hippopotamus Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a hippopotamus.
- Alpaca SMILE (アルパカの
SMILEArupaka no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Alpaca Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of an alpaca.
- Scorpion SMILE (サソリの
SMILESasori no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Scorpion Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a scorpion.
- Elephant SMILE (ゾウの
SMILEZō no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Elephant Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of an elephant.
- Monkey SMILE (猿の
SMILESaru no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Monkey Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a monkey.
- Armadillo SMILE (アルマジロの
SMILEArumajiro no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Armadillo Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of an armadillo.
- Ostrich SMILE (Dacho no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Ostrich Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of an ostrich.
- Flying Squirrel SMILE (ムササビの
SMILEMusasabi no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Flying Squirrel Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a flying squirrel.
- Gorilla SMILE (ゴリラの
SMILEGorira no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Gorilla Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a gorilla.
- Giraffe SMILE (キリンの
SMILEKirin no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Giraffe Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a giraffe.
- Hamlet ate a Giraffe SMILE that gives him giraffe ears and horns and the neck and body of a giraffe coming from the back of his neck and the upper parts of his back.
- Chicken SMILE (ニワトリの
SMILENiwatori no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Chicken Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a chicken.
- Rattlesnake SMILE (ガラガラヘビの
SMILEGaragarahebi no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Rattlesnake Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a rattlesnake.
- Bear SMILE (クマの
SMILEKuma no Sumairu?, literally meaning "Bear Artificial Devil Fruit") - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a bear.
The following have unnamed SMILE types:
- Fox - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Bakura Town ate a Fox SMILE that gives him a fox's head coming from his scalp in place of his hair.
- Walrus - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Bakura Town ate a Walrus SMILE that gives him a walrus' head and body coming from his scalp in place of his hair.
- Wolf - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a wolf.
- Snake - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a snake.
- An unnamed member of the Trio the Grip ate a Snake SMILE that allows him to transform his right arm into a snake.
- Snakeman ate a Snake SMILE that gives him a snake head coming from his navel and a snake tail coming from his back.
- Sarahebi ate a Snake SMILE that allows her to extend her neck, grow fangs, and to thin, elongate, and fork her tongue.
- An unnamed Gifter who serves under Black Maria ate a Snake SMILE that gives her a long snake neck and a snake-like mouth.
- Crab - Grants the user the physitical characteristics of a crab.
- An unnamed member of the Trio the Grip ate a Crab SMILE that allows him to turn his left hand into a crab claw.
- An unnamed member of the Armored Division ate a Crab SMILE that gives her crab claws coming from her waist and crab legs adjacent to her her own legs.
- An unnamed Gifter in Udon Prison ate a Crab SMILE that gives him crab claws and an extra pairs of legs.
- An unnamed Gifter who was present at Zou ate a Crab SMILE that gives him a crab claw in place of his left hand.
- An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Crab SMILE that gives her crab claws on both hands and an extra pairs of legs.
- Rabbit - Rabbitman ate a Rabbit SMILE that gives him rabbit ears on his shoulders, a rabbit's face on his beard, and a rabbit's tail on his back.
- Eagle - An unnamed Gifter who was at Kuri Beach and later seen on a Beast Pirates' ship ate an Eagle SMILE gives him an eagle head coming from his scalp, feathers in place of facial hair, and a pair of eagle wings on his back.
- Butterfly - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Kuri Beach and later seen on a Beast Pirates' ship ate a Butterfly SMILE that gives her butterfly wings on her back and antennas on her head.
- Moose - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Moose SMILE that gives him the head of a moose.
- Stag Beetle - An unnamed member of the Armored Division ate a Stag Beetle SMILE that gives him stag beetle horns coming from his shoulder blades.
- Rhinoceros Beetle - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Rhinoceros Beetle SMILE that gives him a rhinoceros beetle horn coming from his forehead.
- Mantis - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Mantis SMILE that gives her mantis claws in place of her hands.
- Dog - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a dog.
- Rhinoceros - An unnamed member of the Armored Division ate a Rhinoceros SMILE that gives him a rhino in place of his legs with his torso coming out from the upper part of the rhinoceros' back.
- Porcupine - An unnamed member of the Armored Division ate a Porcupine SMILE that gives him porcupine quills covering his back.
- Cat - A number of unnamed Gifters serving under Who's-Who each ate a Cat SMILE that gives them cat ears and cat tails.
- Caiman - Caimanlady ate a Caiman SMILE that gives her the front half of a caiman coming from the backs of her lower leg.
- Bee - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Bee SMILE that gives her an extra pair of arms and bee wings above her rear end.
- Panda - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Panda SMILE that gives him a full body of a panda but while up side down.
- Crocodile - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Crocodile SMILE that turns his left arm into the head and front legs of a crocodile.
- Zebra - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Zebra SMILE that gives him the rear end of the zebra coming from behind his back.
|Sheepshead *||Ginrummy *||Batman||Gazelleman||Mouseman|
|Trio the Grip ≠||Bearman ≠||Unidentified Wolf Gifter||Unidentified Bird Gifter||Unidentified Butterfly Gifter|
|Unidentified Stag Beetle Gifter|
|Pleasures||Shimotsuki Yasuie †||Toko||Killer||Han|
- †: the character is deceased.
- *: the character's status is unknown, or show additional information. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- ≠: the character is non-canon.
- ‡: the character is no longer part of this group. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
The SMILE fruits were invented sometime in the last four years by the brilliant scientist and 300,000,000 bounty criminal, Caesar Clown, who developed a method to create artificial Zoan-type Devil Fruits with a special chemical that he created himself, known as SAD. Caesar, working under the flag of Donquixote Doflamingo of the Seven Warlords, created SAD in an abandoned lab on the island of Punk Hazard, which was then shipped to the kingdom of Dressrosa, where Doflamingo ruled as king.
After the SMILEs were created at the factory in Dressrosa, they were monopolized by Kaido of the Four Emperors in an effort to achieve his dream of commanding the strongest pirate crew in the entire world which consists entirely of Devil Fruit users. Kaido fed them to his crew members in order to turn them into Gifters and has since amassed an army of over 500 artificial Devil Fruit users, some of whom are particularly strong and were promoted to the rank of Shinuchi.
|— Shinobu on Ebisu Town's plight.|
The members of the Beasts Pirates who ate the defective SMILEs and were then forced to always be happy became known as the Pleasures. It was later discovered that the faulty SMILEs retain their drawbacks after being partially eaten. Taking notice of this, the tyrannical shogun of Wano Country, Kurozumi Orochi, took the leftover defective fruits and put them in with the leftovers that were given to the poor citizens. Orochi's goal was to force the victims of his cruel reign to express constant joy, with the intention of maintaining a visage of happiness around the country.
It did not take long for the people of the leftovers town to figure out what the fruits were doing, but in the end, their hunger got the best of them, forcing them to live in misery and suffering and without the ability to be upset about it, no matter how terrible a tragedy they were forced to endure.
The Gifters use their abilities frequently during battle in order to increase their strength. However, after the SMILE Factory was destroyed, the Beasts Pirates stopped receiving SMILEs and so the production of new Gifters, as well as Pleasures, has ceased.
- The side effects of eating a defective SMILE fruit may be a reference to the concept of Joker Venom that DC Comics supervillain Joker uses.
- When a victim eats a dud SMILE, they are forever unable to express any emotion other than constant joy, even in a situation when they would normally express sadness, fear, or anger.
- Joker Venom is a typically deadly weapon that causes the victim to start laughing uncontrollably while their facial muscles contort into a rictus grin similar to the Joker's own; they are literally unable to stop laughing, even to breathe, and so they eventually asphyxiate, causing them to die laughing.
- Doflamingo first mentioned SMILEs to Disco just before he abandoned the slave trade.
- It was because 90% of the eaters ended up smiling and laughing for the rest of their lives that Doflamingo, Caesar, and Kaido named the fruit SMILE, cruelly mocking their misfortune.
- The Gifters' ability to turn selective parts of their body into animals (and animal parts) is similar to an advanced level of control of ones Zoan Devil Fruit powers, such as Marco's control of his Phoenix Devil Fruit.
- The notable difference being that the SMILE users can transform their body parts into non-corresponding animal parts, such as Sheepshead turning his hands into horns.
- Some SMILE Devil Fruit users possess a fruit that has the ability of another, already existing real Devil Fruit.
- A Gifter on Zou with a wolf fruit is similar to Jabra's Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Wolf.
- Speed's fruit is similar to Pierre's Uma Uma no Mi.
- Babanuki's fruit is similar to Funkfreed's Zou Zou no Mi.
- Snakeman's and Sarahebi's fruits are similar to Boa Sandersonia and Marigold's Hebi Hebi no Mi, Model: Anaconda and Hebi Hebi no Mi, Model: King Cobra.
- Hamlet's fruit is similar to Kaku's Ushi Ushi no Mi, Model: Giraffe.
- Fourtricks's fruit is somewhat similar to Tamago's Tama Tama no Mi.
- A member of the Armored Troops has a rhinoceros fruit similar to Minorhinoceros.
- Alpacaman's fruit is similar to Alpacacino's non-canon unnamed Devil Fruit.
- Batman's fruit is slightly similar to Patrick Redfield's non-canon Batto Batto no Mi, Model: Vampire.
- A Gifter with an eagle fruit is similar to Buzz's Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Eagle.