SMILEs are artificial Zoan Devil Fruits created with SAD. They were formerly manufactured by Donquixote Doflamingo and Caesar Clown and were monopolized and consumed by the members of the Beasts Pirates, which created the classifications of the Gifters, the Pleasures, and the Waiters within the crew.
SMILEs do not have individual names like the standard Devil Fruits, and are instead referred to as "(Animal species) no SMILE". In the English Sub, they are referred to as "(Animal species) SMILE".
SMILEs resemble the artificial Devil Fruit that Vegapunk created; they are colorful fruits resembling apples that have spots of a different color all over them, and those spots have another spot inside each of them.
- Further information: SMILE Factory
The key ingredient required to concoct the artificial fruits is SAD, which is a chemical substance created by mixing the extracted Lineage Factors of numerous animals together. Only Caesar Clown possesses knowledge of how to create SAD, and as such, the production of these fake Devil Fruits requires Caesar's cooperation. After Caesar produced the SAD in his lab on Punk Hazard, it was then transferred to the SMILE Factory in Dressrosa and processed into SMILEs.
The manufacturing process of the SMILE Factory involves having luminescent sunflowers on the ceiling that provide light to the ordinary fruit trees growing in the factories indoor orchard. Additionally, the SAD is poured into an indoor river. The river feeds into irrigation canals that channel the river under the trees in order to feed them the chemical, modifying the fruits that grow from them. The spots seems to be an indicator for the fruit becoming a SMILE, and while mid-growing, the bottom half of the fruit lacks the telltale spots.
Due to the Tontatta Tribe's dwarves specializing in plants, they were forced into labor in the factory producing SMILEs. It appears that the Tontatta could only produce one viable fruit out of every ten SMILEs, they themselves noting the unorthodox nature of the fruit complicating the success rate. As incentive to increase their rate of production, they were made believe that it was medication for their sick Princess Mansherry; the dwarves' gullibility led them to believe this lie.
With the destruction of both the SMILE factory and SAD supply, the production of SMILEs has stopped.
A SMILE fruit is intended to grant the consumer the power of animal transformation, much like a Zoan-type Devil Fruit, by a process which involves transmission of the Lineage Factor of a real animal. Like normal Devil Fruits, SMILEs render those who consume them unable to swim. It has been noted that, unlike real Devil Fruits, SMILE Fruits actually taste good.
SMILEs do appear to grant enhanced physical abilities, much like real Zoan fruits, as seen when the members of the Armored Division were able to hold down the strong, massive General Franky mech suit. SMILE users can also gain certain abilities of their animal, such as Batman gaining the sharp hearing of a bat, Alpacaman being able to spit his saliva with high speed and force like an Alpaca, and Gazelleman having the ability to run very fast like a gazelle. Of course, there is the possibility that a SMILE user will possess animal abilities that go beyond their level of resilience; Gazelleman is not granted the endurance of a gazelle, meaning that running fast will make him very exhausted.
Even with the increased strength and animal abilities bestowed by the SMILEs, many, if not all of these artificial Devil Fruits appear to be greatly inferior in strength compared to real Devil Fruits.
As noted by Law, SMILEs, being artificial, do have side effects. Due to the faulty chemicals used to make them, only one out of every ten SMILE fruits will successfully grant Zoan-like abilities. The other 90% of people who consume one will not receive a power, and on top of losing the ability to swim, they permanently become unable to express negative emotions, being forced to smile and laugh all of the time regardless of how they actually feel, even while getting hurt in battle or if someone they care about dies. As opposed to real Devil Fruits, which lose their power after the first bite is taken and become ordinary disgusting fruits, the failed SMILE fruits maintain their side effects after being partially eaten, so anyone who eats from one after the initial consumer has already eaten part of it will also lose their ability to express any emotion other than joy.
Notably, SMILE users are susceptible to the power of the Kibi Kibi no Mi, which allows the user to tame animals by feeding them the treats created via this power, meaning that if they are fed these special kibi dango, they will become obedient subordinates of the user.
Differences from Natural Zoans
While normal Zoan users can fully transform into an animal, as well as being able to take on a hybrid form, SMILE users have demonstrated the ability to turn certain parts of their body into parts of the animal's body. In some cases, the animal body part corresponds to the human body part, such as Alpacaman having an alpaca head in place of his human head, or Madilloman having an armadillo shell on his back. It is also possible for the animal body parts to have non-corresponding placement, such as Sheepshead turning his hands into the horns of a ram, and other Gifters turning their hands into animal heads or having an animal growing from the top of their head in place of hair. These two circumstances are not mutually exclusive; it is possible for someone to possess animal traits in both corresponding and non-corresponding locations. An example of this is the scorpion SMILE user Daifugo, who has both multiple scorpion-like legs where he would have two human legs and a scorpion stinger at the end of his hair. However some transformations are so extreme, that it actually looks more like the human is growing out of the animal rather than the other way round, such as Fourtricks, whose transformations seem more like a human face and arms are growing out of a roosters rear.
One potential side effect is that instead of having animal features or limbs, some users will instead have an actual animal growing out of their body, as seen with Holed'em's lion, whose head and arms are protruding from Holed'em's midsection. Animals such as these will have a mind of their own, and this can be painful or even dangerous for the user as said animal may inconvenience, resist, or even attack its own host. However, since the animal half shares the same body as its user, it will share any pain its host receives, which will keep the animal from attacking its host too often.
SMILE users who gain non-sentient animal part transformations, such as Sheepsheads sheep horns and Sarahebi's snake-like neck and fangs, have the ability to activate and deactivate their transformations at will. Alternatively, users who gain sentient animal heads growing out of their body, such as Babanuki's elephant and Mizerka's gorilla, do not have such an ability and their body is permanently altered. It has been indicated that users can achieve advanced control over their powers, but it is uncertain what that looks like. Since some animal transformations have their own sentience, a few SMILE users may very well give them a name, even though they share the same body, examples being Holed'em and Mizerka, who've named their animal transformations Kamijiro and Gorishiro respectively.
Another difference is that while SMILE users are susceptible to the Kibi Kibi no Mi's animal-taming powers, a genuine Zoan user does not fall under the same weakness.
SMILE users have been seen with the attributes and abilities of a large variety of animals, from mammals to reptiles to insects to crustaceans. SMILEs can also result in multiple copies of the same animal appearing among its consumers, in contrast to real Devil Fruits, of which there is only one of each in the entire world. Of course, the animal traits can manifest in different ways, even for the same animal. For example, one person might have a snake in place of their hand while another might have a snake growing out of their navel.
Due to being produced from the Lineage Factors of real animals, SMILEs are only capable of granting normal Zoan powers; no Ancient or Mythical SMILEs exist as these animals are generally not to be found in the present day (save for a few pockets of the world in some instances). This contrasts with the artificial fruit that Vegapunk produced, as since it utilized the Lineage Factor of an actual Devil Fruit user, and a Mythical Zoan one to boot, Vegapunk was able to develop an artificial Mythical Zoan fruit. Since the source of these fruits' power comes from actual animals, multiple SMILE fruits that cause transformation into the same animal are possible, and SMILEs with the traits of the same animal will have the same name.
The following SMILE types are listed in order of appearance:
- Sheep SMILE (
羊の SMILEHitsuji no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a sheep.
- Mouse SMILE (ネズミの
SMILENezumi no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a mouse.
- Bat SMILE (コウモリの
SMILEKōmori no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a bat.
- Gazelle SMILE (ガゼルの
SMILEGazeru no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a Gazelle.
- Lion SMILE (ライオンの
SMILERaion no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a lion.
- Horse SMILE (ウマの
SMILEUma no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a horse.
- Speed ate a Horse SMILE that gives her horse ears, a horse’s smile, and makes her lower body the body of a horse.
- Four unnamed Gifters who carry Kurozumi Orochi's carriage each ate a Horse SMILE that gives them horse legs.
- An unnamed Gifter who accompany Bao Huang ate a Horse SMILE that gives him the appearance of a bipedal horse.
- Hippopotamus SMILE (カバの
SMILEKaba no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a hippopotamus.
- Alpaca SMILE (アルパカの
SMILEArupaka no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of an alpaca.
- Scorpion SMILE (サソリの
SMILESasori no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a scorpion.
- Elephant SMILE (ゾウの
SMILEZō no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of an elephant.
- Monkey SMILE (猿の
SMILESaru no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a monkey.
- Armadillo SMILE (アルマジロの
SMILEArumajiro no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of an armadillo.
- Ostrich SMILE (Dacho no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of an ostrich. 
- Flying Squirrel SMILE (ムササビの
SMILEMusasabi no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a flying squirrel.
- Bao Huang ate a Flying Squirrel SMILE that gives her the tail of a flying squirrel and allows her to glide in the air.
- Gorilla SMILE (ゴリラの
SMILEGorira no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a gorilla.
- Giraffe SMILE (キリンの
SMILEKirin no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a giraffe.
- Chicken SMILE (ニワトリの
SMILENiwatori no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a chicken.
- Rattlesnake SMILE (ガラガラヘビの
SMILEGaragarahebi no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a rattlesnake.
- Bear SMILE (クマの
SMILEKuma no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a bear.
- Eagle SMILE (鷲の
SMILEWashi no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of an eagle.
- An unnamed Gifter who was at Kuri Beach and later seen on a Beast Pirates' ship ate an Eagle SMILE gives him an eagle head coming from his scalp, feathers in place of facial hair, and a pair of eagle wings on his back.
- Butterfly SMILE (蝶の
SMILEChō no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a butterfly.
- An unnamed Gifter who was present at Kuri Beach and later seen on a Beast Pirates' ship ate a Butterfly SMILE that gives her butterfly wings on her back and antennas on her head.
- Pug SMILE (パグの
SMILEPagu no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a pug.
- Wanyudo ate a Pug SMILE that makes his whole body that of a pug's, except for his head.
- Hognose Snake SMILE (シシバナヘビの
SMILEShishibanahebi no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a hognose snake.
- Nure-Onna ate a Hognose Snake SMILE that makes her neck like the body of a hognose snake.
- White Snake SMILE (白蛇の
SMILEShirohebi no Sumairu?) - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a white snake.
- Tenjo-Sagari ate a White Snake SMILE that makes her lower body a white snake tail.
The following have unnamed SMILE types:
- Wolf - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a wolf.
- Snake - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a snake.
- An unnamed member of the Trio the Grip ate a Snake SMILE that allows him to transform his right arm into a snake.
- Snakeman ate a Snake SMILE that gives him a snake head coming from his abdomen where his belt is and a snake tail coming from his back giving it the appearance that the snake is going through him.
- Sarahebi ate a Snake SMILE that allows her to extend her neck, grow fangs, and to thin, elongate, and fork her tongue.
- An unnamed Gifter who serves under Black Maria ate a Snake SMILE that gives her a long snake neck and a snake-like mouth.
- Crab - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a crab.
- An unnamed Gifter who was present at Zou ate a Crab SMILE that gives him a crab claw in place of his left hand.
- An unnamed member of the Trio the Grip ate a Crab SMILE that allows him to turn his left hand into a crab claw.
- An unnamed member of the Armored Division ate a Crab SMILE that gives her crab claws coming from her waist and crab legs adjacent to her her real legs.
- An unnamed Gifter in Udon Prison ate a Crab SMILE that gives him crab claws and an extra pairs of legs.
- An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Crab SMILE that gives her crab claws on both hands and an extra pairs of legs.
- Rabbit - Rabbitman ate a Rabbit SMILE that gives him rabbit ears on his shoulders, a rabbit's face on his beard, and a rabbit's tail on his back.
- Fox - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Bakura Town ate a Fox SMILE that gives him a fox's head coming from his forehead and scalp in place of his hair.
- Walrus - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Bakura Town ate a Walrus SMILE that gives him a walrus' head and body coming from his scalp in place of his hair.
- Bee - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Bee SMILE that gives her an extra pair of arms and bee wings above her rear end.
- Moose - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Moose SMILE that gives him the head of a moose.
- Cat - A number of unnamed Gifters serving under Who's-Who each ate a Cat SMILE that gives them cat ears and cat tails.
- Stag Beetle - An unnamed member of the Armored Division ate a Stag Beetle SMILE that gives him stag beetle jaws coming from his shoulder blades.
- Rhinoceros Beetle - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Rhinoceros Beetle SMILE that gives him a rhinoceros beetle horn coming from his forehead.
- Mantis - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Mantis SMILE that gives her mantis claws in place of her hands.
- Dog - Grants the user the physical characteristics of a dog.
- An unnamed Gifter ate a Dog SMILE that gives him a dog's head coming from his forehead and scalp in place of hair.
- An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Dog SMILE that gives him a dog's head in place of his mouth.
- An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Dog SMILE that gives him a dog's head coming from his upper torso.
- Rhinoceros - An unnamed member of the Armored Division ate a Rhinoceros SMILE that gives him a rhinoceros in place of his legs with his torso coming out from between the rhinoceros' neck and upper back.
- Hedgehog - An unnamed member of the Armored Division ate a Hedgehog SMILE that gives him hedgehog quills covering his back.
- Tortoise - An unnamed member of the Armored Division ate a Tortoise SMILE that gives him a full body of a tortoise growing from his pelvis, replacing his legs.
- Panda - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Panda SMILE that gives him a full body of a giant panda, but while up side down. His human head is between the giant panda's hind legs.
- Crocodile - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Crocodile SMILE that turns his left arm into the head and upper body of a crocodile.
- Zebra - An unnamed Gifter who was present at Onigashima ate a Zebra SMILE that gives him the hindquarters of a zebra coming from behind the upper part of his back.
- Caiman - Caimanlady ate a Caiman SMILE that gives her the front half of a caiman coming from the backs of her lower leg.
- Tiger - Tigerman ate a Tiger SMILE that gave him the ears, nose, fangs, and striped fur of a tiger.
- Llama - Llamaman ate a Llama SMILE that causes a llama's neck to sprout out of the top of his head and covering his skin with fur.
|Sheepshead ?||Ginrummy ?||Batman||Gazelleman||Mouseman|
|Caimanlady||Wanyudo||Armored Division||Unidentified Wolf Gifter||Unidentified Eagle Gifter|
|Unidentified Butterfly Gifter||Unidentified Stag Beetle Gifter||Unidentified Mantis Gifter||Unidentified Tortoise Gifter||Unidentified Hedgehog Gifter|
|Trio the Grip ?||Bearman||Tigerman||Llamaman|
- †: the character is deceased.
- ?: the character's status is unknown.
- ≠: the character is non-canon.
- ‡: the character is no longer part of this group. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- *: other relevant information. Hovering the symbol gives further details.
The SMILE fruits were invented sometime in the last four years by the mad scientist and 300,000,000 bounty criminal, Caesar Clown, who developed a method to create artificial Zoan-type Devil Fruits with a special chemical that he created himself, known as SAD. Caesar, working under the flag of Donquixote Doflamingo of the Seven Warlords, created SAD in an abandoned lab on the island of Punk Hazard, which was then shipped to the kingdom of Dressrosa, where Doflamingo ruled as king.
After the SMILEs were created at the factory in Dressrosa, they were monopolized by Kaidou of the Four Emperors in an effort to achieve his dream of commanding the strongest pirate crew in the entire world which consists entirely of Devil Fruit users. Kaidou fed them to his crew members in order to turn them into Gifters and has since amassed an army of over 500 artificial Devil Fruit users, some of whom are particularly strong and were promoted to the rank of Shinuchi.
|— Shinobu on Ebisu Town's plight.|
The members of the Beasts Pirates who ate the defective SMILEs and were then forced to always be happy became known as the Pleasures. It was later discovered that the faulty SMILEs retain their drawbacks after being partially eaten. Taking notice of this, the tyrannical shogun of Wano Country, Kurozumi Orochi, took the leftover defective fruits and put them in with the leftovers that were given to the poor citizens. Orochi's goal was to force the victims of his cruel reign to express constant joy, with the intention of maintaining a visage of happiness around the country.
It did not take long for the people of the leftovers town to figure out what the fruits were doing, but in the end, their hunger got the best of them, forcing them to live in misery and suffering and without the ability to be upset about it, no matter how terrible a tragedy they were forced to endure.
The Gifters use their abilities frequently during battle in order to increase their strength. However, after the SMILE Factory was destroyed, the Beasts Pirates stopped receiving SMILEs and so the production of new Gifters, as well as Pleasures, has ceased.
- Oda once drew how Killer would have looked like if the SMILE he ate on Orochi's orders had not been a dud. In his case, an elephant SMILE user.
- The side effects of eating a defective SMILE fruit may be a reference to the concept of Joker Venom that DC Comics supervillain Joker uses.
- When a victim eats a dud SMILE, they are forever unable to express any emotion other than constant joy, even in a situation when they would normally express sadness, fear, or anger.
- Joker Venom is a typically deadly weapon that causes the victim to start laughing uncontrollably while their facial muscles contort into a rictus grin similar to the Joker's own; they are literally unable to stop laughing, even to breathe, and so they eventually asphyxiate, causing them to die laughing.
- Doflamingo first mentioned SMILEs to Disco just before he abandoned the slave trade.
- It was because 90% of the eaters ended up smiling and laughing for the rest of their lives that Doflamingo, Caesar, and Kaidou named the fruit SMILE, cruelly mocking their misfortune.
- The Gifters' ability to turn selective parts of their body into animals (and animal parts) is similar to an advanced level of control of ones Zoan Devil Fruit powers, such as Marco's control of his Phoenix Devil Fruit.
- The notable difference being that the SMILE users can transform their body parts into non-corresponding animal parts, such as Sheepshead turning his hands into horns.
- Some SMILE Devil Fruit users possess a fruit that has the ability of another, already existing real Devil Fruit.
- A Gifter on Zou with a wolf fruit is similar to Jabra's Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Wolf.
- Speed's fruit is similar to Pierre's Uma Uma no Mi.
- Babanuki's fruit is similar to Funkfreed's Zou Zou no Mi.
- Snakeman's and Sarahebi's fruits are similar to Boa Sandersonia and Marigold's Hebi Hebi no Mi, Model: Anaconda and Hebi Hebi no Mi, Model: King Cobra.
- Hamlet's fruit is similar to Kaku's Ushi Ushi no Mi, Model: Giraffe.
- Fourtricks's fruit is somewhat similar to Tamago's Tama Tama no Mi.
- A member of the Armored Troops has a rhinoceros fruit similar to Minorhinoceros.
- Alpacaman's fruit is similar to Alpacacino's non-canon unnamed Devil Fruit.
- Batman's fruit is slightly similar to Patrick Redfield's non-canon Batto Batto no Mi, Model: Vampire.
- A Gifter with an eagle fruit is similar to Buzz's Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Eagle.