They were formerly manufactured by Donquixote Doflamingo and Caesar Clown and were monopolized and consumed by the members Beasts Pirates, which created the classifications of the Gifters, the Pleasures, and the Waiters.
SMILEs do not have individual names like the standard Devil Fruits, and are instead referred to as "(Animal species) no SMILE". In the English Sub, the are referred to as "(Animal species) SMILE".
SMILEs resemble the artificial Devil Fruit that Vegapunk created; they are colorful fruits resembling apples that have spots of a different color all over them, and those spots have another spot inside each of them.
- Further information: SMILE Factory
The key ingredient required to concoct the fruit is SAD, a substance that only Caesar Clown knows how to manufacture. As such, to produce such a Devil Fruit requires Caesar's cooperation. The SAD is produced by Caesar, which was then transferred to the SMILE Factory in Dressrosa and processed into SMILE.
Due to the Tontatta Tribe's dwarves specializing in plants, they were forced into labor in producing SMILEs. As incentive to increase their rate of production, they were made to do so under the false belief that it was medication for their sick Princess Mansherry; the dwarves' gullibility led them to believe the lie.
The manufacturing process of the SMILE Factory involves having luminescent sunflowers that provide light to the trees growing the fruits, while SAD is poured into the river. The river is led into irrigation canals on both sides which then channel the river under the trees in order to feed them the chemical.
It appears that the Tontatta could only produce one viable fruit out of every ten SMILEs, they themselves noting the unorthodox nature of the fruit complicating the success rate. The spots seems to be an indicator for the fruit becoming a SMILE, and while mid-growing, the bottom quarter of the fruit lacks the telltale swirls.
With the factory and SAD supply destroyed, the production of SMILEs has stopped.
The SMILE is intended to grant the consumer the ability of animal transformation, much like a Zoan-type Devil Fruit. Like normal Devil Fruits, SMILEs render those who consume them unable to swim. It has also been noted that, unlike real Devil Fruits, SMILE Fruits actually taste good.
While normal Zoan users can fully transform into an animal, as well as being able to take on a hybrid form, SMILE users have demonstrated the ability to turn certain parts of their body into non-corresponding parts of the animal's body, such as Sheepshead turning his hands into sheep's horns and other gifters turning their hands, chest, or stomach into animal heads. People who eat a successful SMILE fruit will permanently gain either a pair of horns on their head or the ears of the animal their fruit corresponds to.
SMILE users can also gain certain abilities of their animal, such as Batman gaining sharp hearing and Gazelleman being able to run very fast. However, Gazelleman is not granted the endurance of a gazelle, meaning that running fast will make him very exhausted.
Law has mentioned that being artificial, SMILEs do have their potential side effects. One such side effect is that instead of having animal features or limbs, some users will instead have an actual animal growing out of their body, as seen with Holdem's lion, whose head and arms are protruding from Holdem's midsection. Animals such as these will have a mind of their own, and this can be painful or even dangerous for the user as said animal may inconvenience, resist, or even attack its own host. However, since the animal half shares the same body as its user, it will share any pain its host receives, which will keep the animal from attacking its host too often. Others seem to have animals growing out of the top of their heads making the animals resemble hats or hair, as seen with fox and walrus SMILE users.
SMILE users who gain non-sentient animal part transformations have the ability to deactivate their transformations at will, but users who gain sentient animal heads on their body do not have such an ability. It has been indicated that users can achieve advanced control over their powers, but it is uncertain what that looks like.
Due to the faulty chemicals used to make them, only one out of every ten SMILE fruits will successfully grant Zoan-like abilities. The other 90% of people who consume one will not receive a power, and on top of losing the ability to swim, they become unable to express negative emotions, being forced to smile and laugh all of the time regardless of how they actually feel, even while getting hurt in battle or if someone they care about dies. Although they can still shed tears. The defective fruits maintain this side effect after being partially eaten.
Notably, SMILE users are susceptible to Tama's Devil Fruit, which allows her to tame animals by feeding them the treats that she can create, meaning that if they are fed Tama's kibi dango, they will become her obedient subordinates.
SMILE users have been seen with the attributes and abilities of a large variety of animals, from mammals to reptiles to insects to crustaceans. SMILE can also result in multiple copies of the same animal appearing among its consumers, in contrast to real Devil Fruits, of which there is only one of each in the entire world. Of course, the animal traits can manifest in different ways, even for the same animal. For example, one person might have a snake in place of their hand while another might have a snake growing out of their navel.
The following SMILE types are listed in order of appearance:
- Sheep (
羊Hitsuji?) - Allows the user to transform their hands into sheep horns. Eaten by Sheepshead.
- Mouse (ネズミ Nezumi?) - Allows the user to gain mouse ears. Eaten by Mouseman.
- Allows the user's hand to become a wolf's head. Eaten by a Gifter present at Zou.
- Allows the user to have a wolf's head on the abdomen. Eaten by a Gifter in Onigashima.
- Bat (コウモリ Kōmori?)
- Gazelle (ガゼル Gazeru?) - Allows the user to transform their legs into a gazelle's legs that enable them to run 200 kilometers an hour. Eaten by Gazelleman.
- Lion (ライオン Raion?) - Allows the user to generate a lion's head and forelegs on their waist. The side-effect is that the lion's head has a mind of it's own. Eaten by Holdem.
- Rabbit - Allows the user to have rabbit ears on their shoulders and have a the rabbit's face on their beard and rabbit's tail on his back. Eaten by Rabbitman.
- Horse (ウマ Uma?)
- Allows the user to gain the ears and lower body of a horse giving them a centaur-like appearance while also enhancing their vision and speed. Eaten by Speed.
- Allows the user to transform their legs into horse legs to run faster. Side effect is the users neigh while they run. Eaten by the four Gifters carrying Orochi's carriage.
- Hippopotamus (カバ Kaba?) - Allows the user's body to grow a hippopotamus body from the back of their legs. The side effect is that the hippopotamus body has a mind of its own. Eaten by Dobon.
- Allows the user's arm to become a snake. Eaten by a member of Trio the Grip.
- Allows the user to have a snake out of the abdomen and also a tail from that back. Eaten by Snakeman.
- Allows the user to extend their neck, to grow fangs, and to elongate and fork their tongue. Eaten by Sarahebi.
- Alpaca (アルパカ Arupaka?) - Allows the user to have an alpaca neck, ears and lips. Eaten by Alpacaman.
- Scorpion (サソリ Sasori?) - Allows the user to have a scorpion stinger in their hair and six legs. Eaten by Daifugo.
- Elephant (ゾウ Zō?) - Allows the user to have a elephant head in their belly. Eaten by Babanuki.
- Monkey (猿 Saru?) - Allows the user to have four monkey limbs in addition to their own human limbs, and a monkey tail. Eaten by Solitaire.
- Armadillo (アルマジロ Arumajiro?) - Allows the user to grow an armadillo on their back, and enabling them the use the rough skin as a hardening shell for both attack and defense. Eaten by Madilloman.
- Ostrich - Allows the user to have the neck and feathers of an ostrich. Eaten by Dachoman.
- Eagle - Allows the user to have an eagle's head on top of the user's scalp and feathers serving as hair and beard, and also have wings on their backs for flying abilities. Eaten by a Gifter at Kuri Beach and later seen on a Beast Pirates' ship.
- Butterfly - Allows the user gain butterfly wings on the user's back for flying abilities and also have a pair of antennas on their heads. Eaten by a female Gifter at Kuri Beach and later seen on a Beast Pirates' ship.
- Flying Squirrel (ムササビ Musasabi?) - Allows the user to have a squirrel's tail. Eaten by Bao Huang.
- Bear - Allows the user to gain the physical attributes of a bear while their face is in the bear's mouth. Eaten by Bearman.
|Gifters||Sheepshead *||Ginrummy *||Batman||Gazelleman|
|Solitaire||Madilloman||Dachoman||Bao Huang||Trio the Grip ≠|
|Bearman ≠||Wolf Gifter||?????||?????|
|Pleasures||Shimotsuki Yasuie †||Toko||Killer||Han|
- †: the character is deceased.
- *: the character's status is unknown, or show additional information. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- ≠: the character is non-canon.
- ‡: the character is no longer part of this group. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
After the SMILEs were created in Dressrosa, they were monopolized by Kaido of the Four Emperors in an effort to achieve his dream of commanding the strongest pirate crew in the entire world which consists entirely of Devil Fruit users. Kaido fed them to his crewmembers in order to turn them into Gifters and has amassed an army of over 500 artificial Devil Fruit user, some of whom are particularly strong and were promoted to the rank of Shinuchi.
The members of the Beasts Pirates who ate the defective SMILEs and were then forced to always be happy become known as the Pleasures. It was later discovered that the faulty SMILEs retain their drawbacks after being partially eaten. Taking notice of this, the tyrannical shogun of Wano Country, Kurozumi Orochi, took the leftover defective fruits and put them in with the leftovers that were given to the poor citizens. Orochi's goal was to force the victims of his cruel reign to express constant joy, with the intention of maintaining a visage of happiness around the country.
It did not take long for the people of the leftovers town to figure out what the fruits were doing, but in the end, their hunger got the best of them, forcing them to live in misery and suffering and without the ability to be upset about it, no matter how terrible a tragedy they were forced to endure.
The Gifters use their abilities frequently during battle in order to increase their strength. However, after the SMILE Factory was destroyed, the Beasts Pirates stopped receiving SMILEs and so the production of new Gifters, as well as Pleasures, ceased.
- The side effects of eating a defective SMILE fruit may be a reference to the concept of Joker Venom that DC Comics supervillain Joker uses.
- When a victim eats a dud SMILE, they are unable to express anything other than a near-constant smile, even when they should be feeling sad or angry, and this also extends to their mental state as they are largely prevented from thinking negative thoughts.
- Joker Venom is a typically deadly weapon that causes the victim to start laughing uncontrollably while their facial muscles contort into a rictus grin similar to the Joker's own; they are literally unable to stop even to breathe and so eventually asphyxiate, causing them to die laughing.
- Doflamingo first mentioned SMILEs to Disco just before he abandoned the slave trade.
- It was for the reason that 90% of the eaters who ended up smiling for the rest of their lives that Doflamingo, Caesar, and Kaido named the fruit SMILE, cruelly mocking their misfortune.
- The Gifters' ability to turn selective parts of their body into animals (and animal parts) is similar to Marco's control of his Devil Fruit.
- Some SMILE Devil Fruit users possess a fruit that has the ability of another, already existing Devil Fruit.
- A Gifter on Zou with a wolf fruit is similar to Jabra's Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Wolf.
- Speed's fruit is similar to Pierre's Uma Uma no Mi.
- Babanuki's fruit is similar to Funkfreed's Zou Zou no Mi.
- Snakeman's and Sarahebi's fruits are similar to Boa Sandersonia and Marigold's Hebi Hebi no Mi, Model: Anaconda and Hebi Hebi no Mi, Model: King Cobra.
- Alpacaman's fruit is similar to Alpacacino's non-canon unnamed Devil Fruit.
- Batman's fruit is slightly similar to Patrick Redfield's non-canon Batto Batto no Mi, Model: Vampire.