The idea behind him is the same as Pandaman, only he is much rarer to see and normally less noticed.
Sam has a black mustache which is straightened down on both ends. He usually sports a red face due to his drunkenness. He also wears a suit and can be seen carrying a package at times.
Sam is a very stressed out person due to the rebellious nature of his daughters. To cope with his stress, he drinks heavily and has a habit of getting very drunk. When he's drunk, he becomes much more fun loving and joins any crowd or party he would happen to run into.
When his eldest daughter was eight, his wife left him and their daughters behind. Throughout the years, he had to raise his daughters on his own. His second daughter was a big troublemaker growing up and had caused him many problems.
Arlong Park ArcEdit
After Arlong was defeated and Arlong Park destroyed, Sam was seen celebrating with the other villagers at the fish-man's defeat. It is revealed that he was drunk on his way home from his daughter's wedding and saw a party, which prompted him to join in.
Concludes non-canon section.
After, the disguised Mr. 2 Bon Kurei attacked Nanohana and Mr. 1 and Miss Doublefinger crashed a galleon into the port, Sam ran around drunkenly while the townspeople ran in fear. It is later explained that he was there because his second daughter was getting married, and that even though his second daughter was apparently a troublemaker and despite the trouble she gave him, when she got married, he went out and got drunk because it saddened him that she was leaving. As a result, he somehow ended up in Alabasta after having one too many drinks.
Dead End AdventureEdit
Concludes non-canon section.
- Sam is one of Oda's jokes in the SBS corner, although it was more likely just a less-than-serious answer Oda came up with to answer the question as to why the same random drunk was in two different panels in the manga. Sam-san has made few appearances in the manga, however he has been featured in the background of the One Piece anime on several occasions.
- Despite his overall lack of appearances in the manga, in the anime he is quite popular and makes appearances in TV specials regularly alongside other Easter Egg characters, making him one of the more common recurring hidden characters.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 94 and Episode 43, Sam makes his first appearance.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Vivre Card - One Piece Visual Dictionary, Sam's birthday and place of residence is revealed.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 21, Fan question: What was Sam-san doing in Alabasta?
- ↑ SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 14, Fan Questions: Who is the guy in the Arlong Park Arc running with the villagers after Arlong's Defeat?
- ↑ One Piece Anime — Episode 51, Sam appears as a judge for the cooking contest.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 19 Chapter 171, Sam reappears in Alabasta.
- ↑ One Piece Movie 4, Sam is seen drunk in Movie 4.