Samurai are a class of warriors in Wano Country. Although the title is typically applied directly towards swordsmen, it can also be used as a generic term for all Wano Country warriors, including ninja and sumo wrestlers.
The samurai of Wano Country are said to be so strong that Marines do not go near them. Fleet Admiral Sakazuki himself noted the potential danger of the samurai, and thus decided not to send Admiral Kizaru to Wano Country.
The samurai class (士族 shizoku?, literally meaning "Warrior Family") have high social status in Wano Country. Under Kurozumi Orochi's corrupt rule, anyone of samurai class may order or kill the lower class without legal repercussions, whether it is to retain their honor or for their self-serving reasons. For a lower class citizen to be married into the samurai class is considered an honor and it would be an insult to the samurai's honor if said lower class refuses the proposal.
20 years ago, the Kozuki Family was known as one of the highest of the samurai classes, having not only existed for centuries in the country, but also having ruled the country as well, until the family was executed in an attack by the current Shogun of Wano Kurozumi Orochi and the Emperor Kaido.
- While the term samurai was not used in the storyline proper until the Thriller Bark Arc, their motifs and general fashion influenced many earlier Cover Page illustrations, beginning with Chapter 70's color spread. Among these, Chapter 310's color spread is particularly notable for depicting Luffy's Wano Country armor (complete with Kozuki emblem) fifteen years before its in-story debut.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 46 Chapter 448 (p. 6) and Episode 342, Ryuma appears.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 66 Chapter 655 (p. 7) and Episode 579, Brook explains about samurai within Wano Country.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 81 Chapter 808 (p. 7) and Episode 757, Ginrummy states that Samurai is a general term for Wano Country warriors.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 90 Chapter 907 (p. 4) and Episode 887, Sakazuki notes the potential danger posed by the samurai.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 91 Chapter 915 (p. 3) and Episode 901, Mouseman talks about Wano's social hierarchy.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 91 Chapter 916 (p. 10-11) and Episode 903, Urashima attempted to publicly execute Kiku for rejecting him.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 90 Chapter 909 (p. 14) and Episode 892, Zoro becomes a ronin while infiltrating Wano Country.
- Samurai – Wikipedia article about samurai
- Rōnin – Wikipedia article about rōnin
- Shizoku – Wikipedia article about shizoku