Zoro picked the sword from a barrel of cheap katanas in a shop at Loguetown after sensing its quality; Tashigi later identifies the sword from a catalogue. When the owner first saw it, he was not going to allow Zoro to buy it, telling him of the curse. Zoro liked the concept and decided to test his luck against the curse. He threw it into the air and held out his arm, willing to let it cut his arm off. Zoro's luck won and the blade circled neatly around his arm. The shop owner gave Zoro both Sandai Kitetsu and Yubashiri for his skill and luck.
Sandai Kitetsu is a moderately curved katana with a white edge and a distinct blue hamon that has the appearance of flames. Its tsuba is golden and shaped like a rounded cross pattée; the hilt is wrapped reddish-brown, with a golden clasp around its middle and a golden kashira pommel.
The sheath of the sword is deep red and continues the design of the hilt, having two golden clasps in short succession around its middle, and the kojiri end cap also being golden.
In the past, one of Wano's best swordsmiths Tenguyama Hitetsu crafted Sandai Kitetsu in imitation of one of the 21 O Wazamono Nidai Kitetsu, which also became an infamous cursed sword. It was later exported overseas and was eventually acquired by Ipponmatsu fearing its curse refused to sell it until Zoro took a liking to Sandai Kitetsu for its cursed nature, even courageously tested his luck by risking his arm by extending it against its falling edge and thus decided to accept Sandai Kitetsu afer his luck previaled the curse. Afterwards, Zoro continue wielding it in countless battles against powerful enemies such as Kaku, Ryuma and Oars. After the 2 year timeskip, Zoro used Sandai Kitetsu to greviously wound Hody Jones in battle.
Being crafted by Tenguyama Hitetsu, one of Wano's greatest swordsmiths in imitation of Kotetsu's Nidai Kitetsu, Sandai Kitetsu despite being a Wazamono the lowest grade of Meitos has superior quality and strength compared to normal swords, it has great sharpness, making it easier to use for cutting. When it was used by Zoro to test his luck against its curse, its previous owner tried to warn Zoro it would cut off his arm. When the blade passed by without harming Zoro, it cut deep into the floor point first, leaving only one fourth of the blade sticking out of the floor. After the timeskip, with Zoro's improved strength and skill, Sandai Kitetsu was able to greviously wounded Hody Jones underwater. It also has great durability, as Zoro could use Sandai Kitetsu to defend against powerful blows such as from Kaku's Zoan Devil Fruit enhanced Rokushiki techniques and also from the O Wazamono Shusui by the master samurai Ryuma. However, Zoro has commented that the sword appears to be a "problem child"; notably, it seemed to be bloodthirsty and wanted to make his arm slash without his direction. Feeling this, he gave the sword more attention to make it realize it only acts on his direction. From the moment he first touched it, Zoro could sense that it was cursed and this nature means he can feel when the sword is nearby even if it is not in his immediate possession. When Chopper found Zoro half-stuck inside a chimney at Water 7, Zoro could sense that Chopper had Sandai Kitetsu with him and explained the fact he could sense the blade's curse. After acquiring it, Zoro uses this sword as one of his three for his Santoryu.
Translation and Dub IssuesEdit
The name part of the sword is actually the "Kitetsu" part with the "Sandai" being an identifier of generation ("San" being "Three", so Third Generation). Thus, the official English versions (FUNimation, Viz) translate the generation identifier but not the name of the sword itself, coming out to "Kitetsu III" in writing (in the Manga, and Anime Subs/Titles) and spoken aloud as "Kitetsu The Third" in the dub.
- In SBS Volume 92, Oda drew Zoro's swords personified as humans. Sandai Kitetsu took the form of a man with an evil smirk, a stubble beard, and a nearly bald head with a dark topknot.
- It seems from their name and classification, the Kitetsu were made weaker with each new sword. Being of the lowest grade of the three swords, Sandai Kitetsu is the weakest of all the Kitetsu swords. Its name also indicates it was the last of the three to be made.
- In the Water 7 Arc, Chopper handles the sword for a period of time and he is unaffected by its curse. But while stuck in the chimney of a building. Zoro was able to feel its prescence despite not being able to look at Chopper and asked him if he had it. When Chopper asked him how did he know, Zoro waved him off by saying "it's a cursed sword after all".
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 97 and Episode 49, Tashigi estimates Sandai Kitetsu's true value around 1,000,000, while it was sold for only 50,000 due its curse.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 97 and Episode 49, Zoro gets Sandai Kitetsu and Yubashiri for free.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 12 Chapter 108 and Episode 65, Zoro uses Sandai Kitetsu for the first time.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 38 Chapter 363 and Episode 254.
- ↑ SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 92 (p. 76), Zoro's swords personified.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 97 (p. 13) and Episode 49, Tashigi explains the ranking of the Kitetsu swords.