The Shimashima Shopping was a small ship personally owned by Sanji, normally stored at the Baratie. It was briefly used by Sanji, Luffy, and Yosaku to travel to the Conomi Islands—a journey it ultimately did not survive.
Ship Design and Appearance
The Shimashima Shopping is a relatively small vessel, painted in green stripes, with apparently no armaments. It has a single deckhouse designed to look like an upside-down saucepan, which contains a fully-functional kitchen (complete with a chimney that is apparently built into the mast).
East Blue Saga
During the events of the Baratie Arc with Don Krieg, Nami had stolen the Going Merry. In order to find out the reason why she did so, Usopp, Johnny, Yosaku, and a heavily wounded Zoro set off after her. They discovered she is heading into Arlong's territory, Nami's home island. Sensing possible danger, Yosaku went back to the Baratie via panda shark to get Luffy. Upon Yosaku's arrival, Luffy decided to go to the island to aid his friends but was having problems doing so as he did not have a boat to use. That was when Sanji decided to join Luffy's crew as Luffy's cook. Sanji managed to get a boat for them to use, the boat used by the Baratie to stock on supplies.
Arlong Park Arc
While sailing towards their destination, Sanji prepared some food to Luffy and Yosaku dine on as the latter of the two explained the situation. The food, however, attracted the giant sea cow, Momoo who wanted to eat the food as well all those onboard the boat. The beast was easily defeated by Sanji for causing such a ruckus. After being subdued, Momoo was tied to the boat and forced to pull it the rest of the way. Due to some ridiculous steering by Luffy, Momoo crashed into the sea wall surrounding Nami's island and flung the little boat far into the island. The boat crashed into the forest, causing quite a mess and severely damaging it.
Some time later, Arlong's top subordinates Hatchan, Kuroobi, and Chew went to investigate the crash. Though they found nothing in the ship's remains, they did, by sheer chance, encounter a wandering Luffy.
Concludes non-canon section.
Translation and Dub Issues
"Shimashima" (しましま?) is the Japanese term for a stripe pattern, referencing the ship's appearance.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 8 Chapter 68 and Episode 30, The Shimashima Shopping is introduced as a personal vessel of Sanji's (hence Luffy being allowed to freely use it, despite the Baratie giving away one boat to the Krieg Pirates already).
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 8 Chapter 69 and Episode 31, The Shimashima Shopping's mast is seen spouting smoke as Sanji cooks.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 8 Chapter 68 and Episode 30.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 9 Chapter 73 and Episode 32, Luffy and present company encounter and defeat Momoo.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 9 Chapters 74–75 and Episode 33, Luffy and present company arrive and crashland in Conomi Islands.
- One Piece Anime — Episode 35, Hatchan, Kuroobi, and Chew are examining the boat's remains wondering who the boat belonged to just as Luffy is walking by.