| Ahoy! This here is the 51st Featured Article.
"Shoujou" has been featured, meaning it was chosen as an article of interest.
Shoujou is a large man who looks like an orangutan with long green hair. He wears a black button up shirt that is too small for his body showing off his hairy torso, a green captain's coat with his arms in the sleeves, and a green captain's hat with his personal jolly roger on the front. He also wears a belt that has the kanji for forest engraved upon it. Due to not having cut his hair in twenty five years, his hair is so long that its entire length is almost as long as Shoujou's entire body height. Despite looking like another species, he is actually a human.
After the timeskip he has removed his coat and has replaced his captain's hat with a wide brimmed straw hat. He is also seen with a container with the beetle Luffy gave him in it hanging from a strap that goes across his chest.
Shoujou shares his brother's short temper and territorial attitude, but unlike him, he dislikes being referred to as a monkey. Still, he befriends the Straw Hats with the same ease.
Despite his friendly attitude, he does think highly of his power and abilities, confidently stating he could well replace Crocodile as a Shichibukai (saying he was the only logical choice for the position) after the latter's defeat, despite clearly being nowhere near Crocodile's level of power.
Like his brother, he is protective of Cricket, who they have come to know as a father figure. He and his fellow Alliance members displayed an amazing spirit to get back up and continue their modifications to the Going Merry after Bellamy's attacks. On their last encounter with the Straw Hats, they left on good terms.
Abilities and PowersEdit
Shoujou commands a large crew of pirates that makes up nearly one half of the Saruyama Alliance. Shoujou and the pirates under him are experts in underwater sonar echo location. They aid Mont Blanc Cricket in his search by searching the seas around Jaya using sonar.
Shoujou himself has very special type of voice which he uses in both underwater search and in battle. When searching, Shoujou sends sound waves called Search Sonar (
When engaged in battle, Shoujou can also use his voice in a special technique of his called Havoc Sonar (
In the anime Shoujou preforms a combination attack with Mashira called Saru Lunge (猿ランジ Saru Lunge?, "Monkey Lunge", called Monkey Punch in the Funimation dub) in which both of them launch a strong punch against their opponents. This was first used against the Bellamy Pirates.
Shoujou first appears during the Jaya Arc after Luffy beat up Masira, Shoujou attacked and damaged the Going Merry. After the Straw Hats meet Cricket, Masira and Shoujou (whom they run into a while later) act a bit more friendly towards them and help modify the Going Merry so it can travel to Skypiea.
When Luffy successfully rang the Shandorian Golden Belfry Bell, it brought the Alliance's dream to fruition, and proved that Skypiea does exist. Masira and Shoujou then follow Cricket to pursue their next dream.
From the Decks of the WorldEdit
He featured alongside Luffy in the One Piece Monkey Island Mascot Cellphone strap series.
Translation and Dub IssuesEdit
His name is meant to be ironic, as shoujou can mean "little girl". It can also directly reference his appearance, as it can also mean "orangutan".
- Shoujou has his own personal jolly roger. It has the traditional skull and crossbones, with the skull bearing the same shape as his face.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 24 Chapter 226 and Episode 147.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 24 Chapter 226 (p. 13) and Episode 147.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Vivre Card - One Piece Visual Dictionary (Card #0251), Information about Shoujou is revealed.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 24 Chapter 226 (p. 12) and Episode 147.
- ↑ Shoujou's name is spelled as such in One Piece Ten.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 24 Chapter 226 (p. 8-9) and Episode 147.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 24 Chapter 226 (p. 15-16) and Episode 147, Shoujou attempts to attack the Straw Hats.
- ↑ One Piece Anime — Episode 150.
- ↑ One Piece Manga — Vol. 65 Chapter 643, cover story: From the Decks of the World Vol. 26.
- Orangutan – Wikipedia article about the animal Shoujou resembles.
- Sonar – Wikipedia article about Sonar.