Soro was a light brown wolf with yellow eyes. He had small pupils, a brown nose, and sharp teeth. He was also seen drooling.
Soro had a very wild temperament, since he was running loose in the town. In the anime, he was shown to be quite vicious, terrorizing townspeople and causing mayhem.
Soro was killed by Zoro after Helmeppo let him run loose in town. Since Soro was scaring the townspeople and was about to attack Rika, Zoro killed him with a slash much to the shock of everyone watching.
Anime and Manga Differences
Soro's role in the anime is expanded. Helmeppo came into the town with Soro and went into a bar owned by a Rika and her mother. Soro started to scare the customers away, so Rika hit Soro with a broom, which merely annoyed the wolf. When Soro attempted to retaliate, Zoro intervened and killed him by throwing a stool at him.
Translation and Dub Issues
Some early fan translations assumed his name to be Inugata, based on a misheard line from Episode 2; in reality, this was a bystander exclaiming "[He really] did it!" (やりやがった Yari ya-gatta?). His true name, Soro, was not revealed until databook Blue.
Strangely, the Viz manga refers to him as a "dog", and implies that he is only one of an entire pack owned by Helmeppo.
- See One Piece World Top 100's East Blue section. This may or may not indicate his name is meant to parody Zoro's.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 1 Chapter 3 (p. 19) and Episode 2, Rika recalls Zoro saving her.
- Vivre Card - One Piece Visual Dictionary , His birthday is revealed.
- One Piece Blue: Grand Data File (p. 88-89) , classification of animals by dangerousness.
- One Piece Anime — Episode 2, Soro's role is extended in the anime.