Soro was a light brown wolf with yellow eyes. He had small pupils, a brown nose, and sharp teeth. He was also seen drooling.
Soro was killed by Zoro after Helmeppo let him run loose in town. Since Soro was scaring the townspeople and was about to attack Rika, Zoro killed him with a slash much to the shock of everyone watching.
Anime and Manga Differences
In the manga, Soro is given only a brief mention (and implied to have attacked Rika out on the street); the anime expands this to a full flashback, depicting Helmeppo and Soro harassing customers in a tavern owned by Rika and her mother, and Rika feebly trying to drive the wolf out with a broom. Soro's fate is also softened, with Zoro throwing a stool at him instead of cutting him down; the dialogue was changed accordingly, and it remains unconfirmed if he was in fact killed.
Translation and Dub Issues
Some early fan translations assumed his name to be Inugata, based on a misheard line from Episode 2; in reality, this was a bystander exclaiming "[He really] did it!" (やりやがった Yari ya-gatta?). His true name, Soro, was not revealed until databook Blue.
Strangely, the Viz manga refers to him as a "dog", and implies that he is only one of an entire pack owned by Helmeppo.
- See One Piece World Top 100's East Blue section. This may or may not indicate his name is meant to parody Zoro's.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 1 Chapter 3 (p. 19) and Episode 2, Rika recalls Zoro saving her.
- Vivre Card - One Piece Visual Dictionary, His birthday is revealed.
- One Piece Blue: Grand Data File (p. 88-89), classification of animals by dangerousness.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 1 Chapter 3 (p. 6-19) and Episode 2.
- One Piece Anime — Episode 2, Soro's role is extended in the anime.