This current allows World Government and Marine ships to move between the three locations privately. It is located on the Grand Line in a corner where the adjacent Calm Belt and Red Line intersect. The three facilities form a triangle that surrounds the current. The only way to access the current is to enter through a facility's Gates of Justice. The "sides" of the triangle have several small currents that would sweep away any ship that tries to bypass the Gates and access the Tarai Current directly. On the other hand, any ship already inside the current would continually stay in it unless a Gate of Justice was opened to let it out.
- The Buster Call on Enies Lobby reached its destination after 30 minutes, and Gloriosa states that one can reach Impel Down from Amazon Lily in one week without the Tarai Current and in 4 days with. These facts suggest that one can travel 3 days worth of distance in half an hour when using the gates.
- The current's name might be a reference to the Japanese expression meaning "to be sent around" (たらい回し tarai mawashi?), mostly used when someone is transferred back and forth to different offices to solve a problem they might have.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 53 Chapter 522 (p. 10-11) and Episode 416, Elder Nyon explains a current that connects the three central government institutions.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 56 Chapter 549 (p. 8) and Episode 452, Crocodile explains about the Tarai Current.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 61 Chapter 598 (p. 10) and Episode 517, Humphrey tells Nami that the new fleet admiral moved Marine Headquarters to the New World.