The Thriller Bark Pirates is the second pirate crew captained by the former Warlord, Gecko Moria. They are the main antagonist group in the Thriller Bark Arc, where they operated from the mysterious Florian Triangle to abduct unsuspecting victims of their shadows for their undead zombie army.
- 1 Jolly Roger
- 2 Crew Members
- 3 Crew Strength
- 4 Ship
- 5 Items
- 6 History
- 7 References
- 8 Site Navigation
Jolly Roger[edit | edit source]
The crew's Jolly Roger is a white skull with two purple wings, and a white flame on each side of the skull.
Crew Members[edit | edit source]
Organization[edit | edit source]
- Mysterious Four (四怪人 Yonkaijin?): the four humans who rule Thriller Bark. They are Gecko Moria, Hogback, Absalom, and Perona.
- General Zombie: Once legendary figures, now commanders of the rest of the zombies. They are under the command of Absalom.
- Surprise Zombie: Zombies that disguise themselves as everyday objects to scare the enemies.
- Soldier Zombie: Common grunt zombies for combat.
- Wild Zombie: Wild animal zombies with high level strength. They are under the command of Perona.
- Special Zombie: A unique kind of zombie that is stronger than General Zombies. Oars was the only one of its kind.
- Spider Mice: Spider-like zombies that sneak up on and trap opponents with webs. They are under the command of Tararan.
Crew Strength[edit | edit source]
The majority of the Thriller Bark Pirates are an undead army of seemingly-invincible zombies, powered by the shadows stolen using Moria's Devil Fruit. At the time of their introduction, the Thriller Bark Pirates had amassed a crew of nearly 900 zombies animated from the dead, including the likes of deceased legendary figures such as Ryuuma, Captain John, and the ancient giant Oars. The undead crew relies solely on the authority of their captain and his three lieutenants which makes up the "Mysterious Four", three of whom being Devil Fruit users while the other possesses the medical knowledge to create the zombies that made up their crew.
The Thriller Bark Pirates were known for their Night Attacks (夜討ち Yōchi?) that takes place every midnight, to which the zombies would attack and capture every victim that has been trapped on their island. Those taken captive are then brought before Moria, who proceeds to steal their shadows with his Devil Fruit before sending them back out to sea. They were shown able to fight and catch the Straw Hat Pirates by surprise, steal the shadows from their strongest members, and almost finish them off with Oars, which the Straw Hats had to fight as a team.
Their captain Moria was even recognized as a member of the Shichibukai, giving them special privileges and officially sanctioned by the World Government. However, after suffering a crushing defeat from the Straw Hat Pirates that costed them their undead army, Moria would be expelled from said group for "being too weak", in Doflamingo's words.
Ship[edit | edit source]
Thriller Bark[edit | edit source]
- Further information: Thriller Bark
Thriller Bark was the ship and namesake of the aforementioned crew. It was an island that was transformed into a ship by Moria, and served as a ship for the crew until their defeat at the hands of the Straw Hat Pirates. It was abandoned for two years, but appears to have been reclaimed by Moria who used it to travel to Pirate Island.
Escapee Ship[edit | edit source]
After Gecko Moria’s defeat, Hogback and Absalom were seen escaping from Thriller Bark (along with the still unconscious shichibukai) in a smaller ship with black sails and a bat figurehead.
Former Ship[edit | edit source]
In Hogback's flashback, a ship with a normal style that seems to be used previously by the crew is seen.
Items[edit | edit source]
Flash Barrel[edit | edit source]
A Flash Barrel is a barrel that contains the red flare inside used to signal Thriller Bark. It floats on the ocean at the entrance of the Florian Triangle, waiting for any passing ships. Whenever opened it will shoot out a red flare after which Perona's Ghost Network will start spying on them. This was a clever trick to pull sailors to Thriller Bark.
Purified Sea Salt[edit | edit source]
Purified Sea Salt is simply salt extracted from the sea, and purified. However, they play a crucial role in defeating the zombies on Thriller Bark. Since salt is an extract from the sea, it can be used to cancel the Kage Kage no Mi's shadow-extracting powers, and purify the zombies, rendering them a husk once again. The amount of salt needed to feed a zombie is proportional to its size, as Oars was immune to a small pellet of salt shot into his mouth.
History[edit | edit source]
Past[edit | edit source]
After Gecko Moria lost his previous crew, the Gecko Pirates, to Kaido at Wano Country twenty-three years ago, his perception of comradeship was forever shattered. He then formed a new crew, the Thriller Bark Pirates, in which he recruited included Absalom, Perona and Hogback, the four being known as the "Mysterious Four". They utilized the island Thriller Bark and transformed it into the largest ship in the world. Moria's trauma led him to create an army of undead zombies as the main force of his new Thriller Bark Pirates, in which he held no sentiment towards due to losing his crew of live members.
Thriller Bark Arc[edit | edit source]
After the Straw Hat Pirates arrived at Thriller Bark, Moria stole the shadows of several of the members, and gave life to Oars thanks to Luffy's shadow. Later,Bartholomew Kuma arrived to inform Moria about the upcoming war against the Whitebeard Pirates, prompting Moria to set sail. As the Straw Hats fought three of the Mysterious Four, Kuma used his Nikyu Nikyu no Mi abilities to send Perona to Kuraigana Island. After Oars and Moria were defeated by the Straw Hats and Brook, Hogback and Absalom took an unconscious Moria to Marineford.
Marineford Arc[edit | edit source]
Post-War Arc[edit | edit source]
After the war Moria ended up being expelled from the Shichibukai.
During the Timeskip[edit | edit source]
Absalom became a popular journalist under the nickname "Absa".
Wano Country Arc[edit | edit source]
After discovering news about Moria and his new army of zombies in the newspaper, Perona went on his search. In Hachinosu, Moria was looking for Teach, and when he met the Blackbeard Pirates, he discovered that Absalom was killed by them, his ability taken by Shiryu.
References[edit | edit source]
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 46 Chapter 446 (p. 6) and Episode 340, Hogback is formally introduced.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 47 Chapter 455 (p. 13), Moria's former bounty, motto and favorite phrase are revealed in his infobox.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 92 Chapter 925 (p. 2 and 4), Crew's name appears on Perona and Moria's introductions
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 49 Chapter 480 and Episode 373, The Straw Hat Pirates defeat Oars as a team.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 59 Chapter 581 and Episode 490, Moria's Shichibukai title is revoked
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 50 Chapter 486 and Episode 378, Moria, Absalom and Hogback are seen leaving Thriller Bark in an escapee ship.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 70 Chapter 700 and Episode 629, A ship with a bat figurehead is seen leaving the Kid Pirates' base.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 46 Chapter 442 and Episode 337.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 96 Chapter 969 (p. 12), The battle of Gecko Pirates vs. Beasts Pirates is mentioned.
[edit | edit source]