Umi is a very short elderly woman with blonde hair tied up in a shimada with a hairpin. She wears a red kimono with pink lines forming a grid pattern.
Umi is strict but supportive teacher towards her students, helping Robin achieve her goal of performing at the Shogun's banquet. Like the majority of Wano Country citizens, Umi admired the oiran Komurasaki for her beauty and elegance.
Abilities and Powers
Four Emperors Saga
Wano Country Arc
She took Nico Robin as her student "O-Robi" and trained her in art of geisha, particularly dancing. During the oiran's procession, she appeared to Robin to inform her that she had been summoned by Shogun Kurozumi Orochi. She then explained the concept of "oiran" to Usopp, Sanji, and Franky.
- Her name may come from Tsugaru-jamisen, a genre of shamisen music that originates from the Tsugaru Peninsula.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 90 Chapter 909 (p. 12) and Episode 892, Tsugaru Umi debuts.
- Vivre Card - One Piece Visual Dictionary (EX Characters: Wano Country Arc Vol. 1 #1249).
- ONE PIECE.com - 芸者の師匠 (Japanese)
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 92 Chapter 927 (p. 11-13) and Episode 920, Umi explains the concept of "oiran".
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 96 Chapter 970 (p. 2) and Episode 971, Umi 20 years ago.