- Ushi is Japanese for "cow" or "ox", as bisons are part of the same subfamily as cows.
- While the kanji is written as 野牛 (yagyū?, Japanese for "bison"), the pronunciation remains as baison, the Japanese way to pronounce the species' name.
- In the 4Kids dub, this fruit is simply called the Ox-Ox Fruit.
- In the Viz Manga, this fruit is called the Ox-Ox Fruit, Bison Model.
- In the FUNimation dub, this fruit is called the Ox-Ox Fruit, Bison Form.
The Ushi Ushi no Mi, Model: Bison looks like a strawberry that resembles a black bison head with white horns. It's covered in swirls except for the horn-like protrusions. It also has a green T-shaped peduncle protruding out of the calyx on top.
Strengths and Weaknesses
The major strength this fruit grants, as demonstrated by Dalton, is that the user is granted two extra forms to transform into: a full bison form and a human-bison hybrid. This gives him enhanced physical capabilities, similar to a real bison's or even more. Using this as an advantage, Dalton possesses incredible strength and speed, to the point of creating afterimages.
This fruit has no known weaknesses, aside from the standard Devil Fruit weaknesses.
This fruit's added physical capabilities allows the user to become much more deadly when fighting. Dalton uses the fruit's powers primarily for combat purposes. While it does provide increased strength, Dalton's usage of the powers are more oriented to the increased speed, dodging bullets and creating afterimages to swiftly strike down multiple targets.
- Fiddle Banff (フィドル
突撃Fidoru Banfu?, literally meaning "Fiddle Assault"): Dalton transforms into his bison-human hybrid form and then charges at his opponent with incredible speed, slashing them with his peculiarly-shaped spade. He can take out multiple opponents with this technique. This was first used on some of Wapol's soldiers. The name Banff refers to the Banff National Park, which was once the home to Plains bisons, until they were hunted to extinction. In the Viz Manga and FUNimation dub, this is called Fiddle Bam.
Translation and Dub Issues
In the 4Kids dub of the anime, the fruit's name was changed to Ox-Ox Fruit in order to cater to an English-speaking audience. While this is technically correct, due to the lack of any words suggesting otherwise, the name in the 4Kids dub technically implies that Dalton turns into an ox instead of a bison. While the words "ox" and "bison" can sometimes be interchangeable, they usually refer to two different breeds of bovine. The Viz Manga and FUNimation dub avoid confusion by calling it the Ox-Ox Fruit, Bison Model and Ox-Ox Fruit, Bison Form, respectively.
- This Devil Fruit's ability was never seen or mentioned during the Episode of Chopper Plus film.
- This is the first Zoan to appear in the series.
- An American Bison bull kept at Obihiro Zoo in Hokkaido was named Doruton after One Piece character Dalton, and was a famous individual as being one of few live bison in Hokkaido until his death in October 2020.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 15 Chapter 135 (p. 19) and Episode 81, Dalton transforms into a human-bison hybrid.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 15 Chapter 136 (p. 13-14) and Episode 82, The devil fruit's name is revealed by two of Dalton's former soldiers.
- One Piece Magazine Vol.12
- Obihiro City About Dorton's death