During the events of the Skypiea Arc, Upper Yard was off limits to civilians. Anyone who entered was killed by Enel.
The dirt on Upper Yard and Upper Yard itself originate from the island Jaya directly below Skypiea. Originally, Upper Yard was merely a piece of the island, but after a Knock Up Stream appeared beneath Jaya, it was shot up to Skypiea never to be seen again by the citizens of the blue sea.
In the original FUNimation dub, Enel wanted to return Vearth to Earth, to Jaya, and drag all of the people from the sky along with it.
Fairy Vearth (
After being defeated by Luffy, Enel headed off to Fairy Vearth, which turns out to be the Moon. There he found a group of alien-like creatures - who have wings similar to the Skypieans - which Enel befriended.
Translation and Dub Issues
The discrepancy in translation ("Endless" vs. "Fairy") is because both are actually written in the manga. The Kanji lists it as "Endless Earth", while the Furigana reading is for "Fairy Vearth", meaning that technically, both are correct.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 76 Chapter 762 (p. 2-16) and Episode 701, Amber Lead and the associated illness is explained.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 27 Chapter 253 and Episode 166, Gan Fall says that "Vearth is the eternal yearning of all things living in the sky".
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 27 Chapter 249 and Episode 163, Aisa goes often to Upper Yard to take Vearth back to her home.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 26 Chapters 240–241 and Episode 155, Conis reveals that Upper Yard is a holy land that no one should ever enter.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 31 Chapters 291–292 and Episode 189, The land of Jaya is shot to Skypiea together with everything on it.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 29 Chapter 274 and Episode 180, Enel explains his plan about Skypiea and Fairy Vearth.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 30 Chapter 277 and Episode 181, Enel's ark Maxim is revealed.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 49 Chapter 473, cover story: Enel's Great Space Operations Vol. 37, The Automata become Enel's subordinates.