Vice Admiral is the third highest rank in the Marines. These officers can have varying duties and amounts of authority. For example, one vice admiral, John Giant, is seen to have some special authority, as he was the first in the entire Marine Headquarters to receive the report of the Buster Call and could also evidently command other vice admirals to dispatch. There are always at least five vice admirals sent with a Buster Call fleet.
The general attire of a vice admiral is that of a Marine coat with epaulets and a suit and tie worn underneath. The only vice admiral to wear an attire different from others is, again, John Giant, who wears a gold and red uniform with a strain of medals on his chest, and later Smoker who keeps his current marine jacket, only adding to it the standard marine coat. While most vice admirals wear standard blue epaulets, Garp wears black and red, while Tsuru wears purple.
|Monkey D. Garp||Tsuru||John Giant||Comil||Momonga|
|Bastille||Smoker||Maynard||Momousagi (Gion)||Chaton (Tokikake)|
|Jaguar D. Saul ‡ †||Kuzan ‡||Sakazuki ‡||Borsalino ‡||Vergo ‡ †|
- †: the character is deceased.
- *: the character's status is unknown, or show additional information. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- ≠: the character is non-canon.
- ‡: the character is no longer part of this group. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
Vice admirals are well known for their strength, and it would seem that most of them are swordsmen and several have been shown using Rokushiki. Many Giants who are shown to be Marines are vice admirals, a testament of their immense strength. Another attribute that is common among vice admirals is that they all know and can use at least one type of Haki, though only Garp, Vergo and Smoker have been shown using it in obvious ways.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 92 (p. 1) and Episode 68, Vice Admiral Garp appears.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 60 Chapter 594 (p. 7) and Episode 511, Dr. Fishbonen states Haki is a power all vice admirals use.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 72 Chapter 719 (p. 8-9) and Episode 649, Garp uses Busoshoku Haki to harden his fist in his fight with Chinjao.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 68 Chapter 672 (p. 4) and Episode 598, Vergo hardens a bamboo stick.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 69 Chapter 684 (p. 6) and Episode 610, Smoker uses Haki to harden his fists to strike Vergo.