The Wado Ichimonji is a sword of great personal importance to Roronoa Zoro, and it was once belonged to Kuina and her family. It is also one of the 21 O Wazamono grade swords. After Kuina's death, Zoro asked for it from her father, who then gave the sword to him.
The sword has a pure-white hilt with a circular hand-guard. The sheath is painted white and the type of the blade is suguha or straight blade.
It is described as "magnificent" by Tashigi when it catches her eye in Loguetown.
As one of the 33 finest katana in the world (12 Saijo O Wazamono, 21 O Wazamono) Wado Ichimonji is a powerful blade when used by a competent swordsman. It is also extraordinarily durable. When a powerful strike from Dracule Mihawk's Yoru shattered two of Zoro's swords, this is the only one that did not break at all, which is a great feat as Mihawk can cut apart large battleships and even giant icebergs with his sword.
When used by Zoro, this sword is usually placed in his mouth for his Santoryu. Prior to the timeskip, when using his Ittoryu, Zoro usually used this sword. After the timeskip he seems to favor Shusui for his Ittoryu. Its toughness is further demonstrated by the fact that Zoro used it for his Ittoryu Iai: Shishi Sonson technique against Mr. 1, cutting through his steel body.
Wado Ichimonji was once owned by Kuina. The sword was rarely used, as Kuina used wooden swords to train. Once, Roronoa Zoro, a boy training at the same dojo as Kuina, and her rival, challenged the girl to a fight with real swords. Kuina used the Wado Ichimonji in this fight.
After Kuina's death, the sword was in the possession of her father, Koushirou. Zoro declared to Koushirou that he will become the strongest swordsman in the world and asked for the sword. Koushirou accepted to pass Wado Ichimonji to Zoro.
Zoro was left with only Wado Ichimonji after two of his swords were broken in his fight with Dracule Mihawk. After arriving at Loguetown, he went into Ipponmatsu's arm shop to buy two more swords. The owner of the shop recognized Wado Ichimonji and asked Zoro to see the blade. Ipponmatsu tried to fool Zoro to sell his sword for a hefty price, but Zoro refused to sell it for any price.
Later, when Tashigi found out about Zoro's true identity, she vowed to retrieve the Wado Ichimonji from him.
- In SBS Volume 92, Oda drew Zoro's swords personified as humans. Wado Ichimonji took the form of a man with a thick unibrow, large nose and lips, and dark hair fashioned into a topknot.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 11 Chapter 97 and Episode 49, Tashigi classifies Wado Ichimonji's grade and value.
- ↑ SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 13.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 6 Chapter 51 and Episode 24, Mihawk destroys Zoro's two swords in time.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 21 Chapter 195 (p. 19-21) and Episode 119, Zoro defeats Mr. 1 with Shishi Sonson.
- ↑ One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 12 Chapter 100 (p. 10) and Episode 53, Tashigi declares to Zoro that she will take Wado Ichimonji from him.
- ↑ SBS One Piece Manga — Vol. 92 (p. 76), Zoro's swords personified.