|Ahoy! This here is the 31st Featured Article.
"Yamakaji" has been featured, meaning it was chosen as an article of interest.
Yamakaji is a tall and broad-chested man. He has a slightly wrinkled face, a round nose with prominent nostrils, thick lips, and a wide, round chin. He has brown buzz cut-styled hair which connects to a thick beard that covers his entire chin. He is always seen with his eyes closed and with a cigar in his mouth. He is also often seen with a cheerful smile. He wears a dark brown double-breasted suit with a black tie underneath, all over a yellow dress shirt with a red polka dot pattern. He also wears brown pants and brown shoes. Like most high-ranking Marine officers, he drapes his standard Marine coat over his shoulders like a cape. He also wears a standard Marine cap.
Twenty-seven years ago, his appearance was very similar. He lacked his beard, instead just having some stubble on his chin, as well as sideburns. He wore an orange suit and a red tie over a white dress shirt, and already had his Marine coat and cap at that time.
Yamakaji generally acts very nonchalant, such as when he was seen peacefully grinning while the Marines destroyed Enies Lobby. However, during the Summit War of Marineford, this demeanor slipped and he was seen anxiously observing the war. Yamakaji appears to admire his senior officers. This is demonstrated when he was seen acting excited when he saw Garp and Sengoku working together, as well as when he acted protective of Tsuru during the Summit War of Marineford. Yamakaji likes to smoke so much that he even smokes during battle. As a Marine, Yamakaji presumably has a strong sense of justice.
Abilities and Powers
- Further information: Haki
Water 7 Saga
Enies Lobby Arc
After a Buster Call had been ordered on Enies Lobby, Yamakaji and fellow vice admirals Momonga, Onigumo, Doberman, and Strawberry were summoned to lead the attack against the Straw Hat Pirates and their allies. After arriving, they began to bombard the island with cannon fire. Towards the end of the bombardment, Yamakaji is seen listening to the soldiers reporting on the destruction of the entire island other than the Bridge of Hesitation. The cannon fire was then targeted on the Straw Hats and the Bridge of Hesitation, but they managed to escape out to sea. Though the island was successfully destroyed, the Buster Call was ultimately unsuccessful as none of the targets were killed.
Summit War Saga
Yamakaji was present at the Summit War of Marineford. When the Whitebeard Pirates and their allies began to clash with the Marines, he told Tsuru to stand back, but was quickly shut down by her. Yamakaji was later seen watching as Luffy attempted to fight the three admirals. He was also seen watching in distress as Garp was defeated by Luffy.
- Yamakaji (山火事?) is Japanese for "forest fire".
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 44 Chapter 420 (p. 19) and Episode 302, Yamakaji makes his debut.
- One Piece Blue Deep: Characters World (p. 194) , Information about Yamakaji is revealed.
- One Piece Yellow: Grand Elements (p. 153) , Yamakaji's name is revealed.
- One Piece Manga — Vol. 70 Chapter 691 (p. 1), Yamakaji is seen as a rookie in the Marines.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 0 Chapter 0 (p. 4) and Episode 0, Yamakaji comments on Garp and Sengoku working together.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 57 Chapter 553 (p. 12) and Episode 462, Yamakaji speaks with Tsuru at the Summit War of Marineford.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 60 Chapter 594 (p. 7) and Episode 511, Fishbonen states that all vice admirals can use Haki.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 44 Chapter 425 (p. 8) and Episode 307, Yamakaji listens to the reports on the destruction of Enies Lobby.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 58 Chapter 566 (p. 3) and Episode 475, Yamakaji watches Luffy fight the admirals.
- One Piece Manga and Anime — Vol. 58 Chapter 571 (p. 7) and Episode 480, Yamakaji watches Luffy defeat Garp.