Zoan is one of the three Devil Fruit types. This type of Devil Fruit allows the user to transform into another species at will, or an inter-species hybrid. Zoan types are especially effective in close combat.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Sub-classes
- 3 Zoan-Type Users
- 4 List of Zoan-Type Fruits
- 5 Strengths
- 6 Weaknesses
- 7 Translation and Dub Issues
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
- 10 External links
- 11 Site Navigation
Zoan-type Devil Fruits grant the user the ability to transform into another species. Zoan Fruits provide the user with three basic forms:
- Human Form (人型 Hito-gata?): The user's natural form prior to consuming the fruit.
- Human-Beast Form (人獣型 Jinjū-gata?): A hybrid form, combining the characteristics of both the users original species and the fruit-bestowed species into an unusual form (usually in a bizarre way where the size is greatly exaggerated).
- Beast Form (獣型 Kemono-gata?): A form in which the user is fully transformed into the fruit-bestowed species.
However, through training, it is possible for Zoan users to unlock additional transformations; for instance, Marco could transform selective parts of his body, and Chopper could transform into at least seven different forms, even without the use of a Rumble Ball.
A majority of the Zoan Devil Fruits come in different groups, known as "series", differentiated by specific species classification, known as "models". These groups are divided based on the different variations of animal; for example, the Jackal, Dachshund, and Wolf Fruits fall into the Inu Inu (Dog) series; while the Bison and Giraffe Fruits belong to the Ushi Ushi (Ox) series; and the Anaconda, King Cobra, and Yamata no Orochi Fruits are of the Hebi Hebi (snake) series.
Even for fruits without a model, there may be other fruits within the same series that do have one; for example, Chopper's Hito Hito no Mi and Sengoku's Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Daibutsu. Sengoku's fruit is also unique in that rather than turning him into a living being, it transforms him into an animate golden statue, making it rather unique among the Zoan-class.
Zoan hybrid forms are almost always bipedal. The only known hybrid forms of human users shown so far that were not bipedal are the Gorgon Sisters' Hebi Hebi no Mi fruits (as snakes do not have legs). Another effect shown for many different known Zoan users is that when in the half-human half-animal hybrid state, sometimes the user tends to grow bigger than they normally are, even to giant proportions.
Inanimate Object Zoan
Some years before the current timeline, Dr. Vegapunk discovered a technique that allows one to make an inanimate object "eat" a Devil Fruit. The details of the technique have not yet been revealed. So far, Zoan is the only type of Devil Fruit that inanimate objects have been shown as being able to absorb. Inanimate object Zoans seem to be very loyal to whomever owns them.
Objects that have "ingested" a Zoan Fruit gain the mobility, abilities, and intelligence of the animal they turn into. This can be a drawback, as the object also gains a living creature's ability to feel pain and fear, and becomes susceptible to disease.
The technique that allows an object to eat a Zoan fruit is not limited to solid materials, as gaseous slime can also be used as a medium.
The four cases in which an inanimate object have canonically absorbed a Devil Fruit are:
- Babe's bazooka Lassoo: Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Dachshund
- Spandam's sword Funkfreed: Zou Zou no Mi
- Caesar Clown's poisonous gas Smiley: Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl
- Tenguyama Hitetsu's teapot Bunbuku: Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Tanuki
Non-canonically, two more cases have been seen:
The Zoan class Devil Fruit has three known sub-classes that exist beside the standard variety: Ancient, Mythical, and Artificial. The first two are considered to be rarer than regular Zoans.
Ancient Zoan (「
Ancient Zoan-type powers seem to be capable of augmenting the user's raw physical abilities to a greater extent than standard Zoans, something certainly in keeping with feats exhibited by wielders of Ancient Zoan powers. Examples include the effortless demolishing of whole buildings, breaking through super-durable armor, and knocking back an enormous ship in a single strike. Furthermore, Ancient Zoans are noted for bestowing significant durability when their transformation is employed, as well as a fast rate of recovery from battle damage, again more so than normal Zoans.
On top of the aforementioned physical enhancement, Ancient Zoan transformations may bestow bodily characteristics that are not seen in modern-day animals, which may be advantageous in combat. Examples include the extremely durable, super-thick skull plate granted by the pachycephalosaurus Zoan, the mammoth Zoan providing the user with a strong trunk and large tusks that are beyond a regular elephant's, or the saber-toothed tiger Zoan giving the user an elongated pair of fangs that modern-day big cats do not possess.
Nine Ancient Zoan powers have been revealed so far, all of which are wielded by (current or former) members of the Beasts Pirates, of the top officer ranks. Six of those are part of the same model series:
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Allosaurus: Eaten by X Drake.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Spinosaurus: Eaten by Page One.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Pteranodon: Eaten by King.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Brachiosaurus: Eaten by Queen.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Pachycephalosaurus: Eaten by Ulti.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Triceratops: Eaten by Sasaki.
Three of said nine are not based on ancient reptiles:
- Zou Zou no Mi, Model: Mammoth: Eaten by Jack.
- Kumo Kumo no Mi, Model: Rosamygale Grauvogeli: Eaten by Black Maria.
- Neko Neko no Mi, Model: Saber Tiger: Eaten by Who's-Who.
Mythical Zoan (「
In accordance with their rarity, Mythical Zoan fruits seem to be the most powerful class of Zoan. As with Ancient Zoans, the physical enhancement granted by Mythical Zoan powers is significantly greater than that of standard Zoans. For example, Marco in his phoenix form was able to easily restrain two extremely powerful, fully transformed Ancient Zoan users at once. Another example of a Mythical Zoan user's immense strength is when Sengoku in his giant Buddha form was able to make a massive metal scaffold collapse with only a single indirect punch, even though it was blocked and cushioned by Luffy's Gear Third-inflated belly and Mr. 3's "stronger-than-steel" Candle Wall.
The most formidable and distinguishing facet of Mythical Zoan fruits is their bestowing of unique, "mythical" abilities that are supplementary to the transformation itself; such as the phoenix Zoan's ability to generate flames with healing properties or the nine-tailed fox Zoan's ability to transform into someone's lookalike. There are even some cases of Mythical Zoan users being able to access these abilities without transforming. Furthermore, a Mythical Zoan fruit may bestow more than a single special ability: e.g., Kaido being able to generate different elements (fire, lightning, and wind) in his Azure Dragon form, as well as create special Flame Clouds with which to make himself and other things fly.
Five Mythical Zoan powers have been shown in canon:
- Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Phoenix: Eaten by Marco.
- Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Daibutsu: Eaten by Sengoku.
- Uo Uo no Mi, Model: Seiryu: Eaten by Kaido.
- Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Kyubi no Kitsune: Eaten by Catarina Devon.
- Hebi Hebi no Mi, Model: Yamata no Orochi: Eaten by Kurozumi Orochi.
Non-canonically, three more Mythical Zoans have been seen:
- Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Bake-danuki: Eaten by Pato.
- Batto Batto no Mi, Model: Vampire: Eaten by Patrick Redfield.
- Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Nue: Eaten by Toratsugu.
- Further information: Artificial Devil Fruit
Artificial Zoan is a type of Zoan Devil Fruit created through non-natural means.
In the Punk Hazard Arc, it is revealed that Dr. Vegapunk attempted to create his own Devil Fruit. However, the resulting fruit was a failure. Momonosuke found the failed Devil Fruit and ate it out of hunger. As a result, he gained the ability to transform into an Eastern dragon, though he has shown little to no control over the ability.
At a later point, Caesar Clown concocted a substance known as SAD and used it to successfully create specialized Artificial Zoan type Devil Fruits named "SMILEs". Kaido, one of the Four Emperors, monopolizes SMILEs to create an army of Zoan users in collaboration with Donquixote Doflamingo. Unfortunately, SMILEs only have a 10% success rate. The other 90%, in addition to losing the ability to swim, will lose the ability to express negative emotions and will only be able to smile and laugh, regardless of their true feelings.
Unlike normal Devil Fruits, artificial Devil Fruits have ring patterns rather than the typical swirl pattern. It is also shown that SMILE users are vulnerable to Tama's Devil Fruit ability.
Artificial Devil Fruits also differ from normal Devil Fruits in that those who eat Artificial Fruits appear to be permanently stuck in hybrid form, unable to change to either full human or full beast form. Furthermore, Artificial Fruits are unique in that they can give fruit users a sentient version of their animal as well, for example Holdem's lion head, named Kamijiro, located in his stomach, and similarly Babanuki's elephant head, also in his stomach. These creatures are shown to be sentient, and separate minds from their users, to the point where they can even quarrel with one another, as seen when Kamijiro attacked Holdem's crotch while annoyed with Holdem. Interestingly, despite this individuality mentally, it has been shown that they share the same body and feelings physically, as Kamijiro almost immediately reacted to the pain after Holdem did.
- †: the character is deceased.
- *: the character's status is unknown, or show additional information. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- ≠: the character is non-canon.
- ‡: the character is no longer part of this group. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
List of Zoan-Type Fruits
- Total Count: 33
- Ushi Ushi no Mi (Ox) series
- Ushi Ushi no Mi, Model: Bison (English versions: Ox-Ox Fruit/Ox-Ox Fruit, Bison Model/Ox-Ox Fruit, Bison Form) - Allows the user to become a full bison or a half-bison hybrid. Eaten by Dalton.
- Ushi Ushi no Mi, Model: Giraffe (English versions: English versions: Ox-Ox Fruit, Giraffe Model/Ox-Ox Fruit, Model: Giraffe) - Allows the user to become a full giraffe or a half-giraffe hybrid. Eaten by Kaku.
- Hito Hito no Mi (Human) series
- Hito Hito no Mi (English versions: Human-Human Fruit) - Allows an animal that eats it to become a full human or a half-human hybrid, as well as grant them human-like intelligence and the ability to speak. Eaten by Tony Tony Chopper.
- Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Daibutsu (English versions: Human-Human Fruit, Daibutsu Model/Human-Human Fruit, Model: Buddha) - Allows the user to become a full Daibutsu (a giant gold Buddha) or a half-Daibutsu hybrid. Eaten by Sengoku.
- Tori Tori no Mi (Bird) series
- Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Falcon (English version: Tweet-Tweet Fruit, Falcon Type/Bird-Bird Fruit, Model: Falcon) - Allows the user to become a full falcon or a half-falcon hybrid. Eaten by Pell.
- Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Phoenix - Allows the user to become a full phoenix or a half-phoenix hybrid. Eaten by Marco.
- Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Albatross - Allows the user to become a full albatross or a half-albatross hybrid. Eaten by Morgans.
- Inu Inu no Mi (Dog) series
- Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Dachshund (English version: Mutt-Mutt Fruit/Mutt-Mutt Fruit, Dachshund Form/Dog-Dog Fruit, Model: Dachshund) - Allows the user to become a full dachshund or a half-dachshund hybrid. In the case of Babe's bazooka-like gun Lassoo, he became a dachshund/gun hybrid.
- Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Jackal (English version: Mutt-Mutt Fruit: Jackal Strike/Dog-Dog Fruit, Model: Jackal/Mutt-Mutt Fruit: Jackal Model) - Allows the user to become a full jackal or a half-jackal hybrid. Eaten by Chaka.
- Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Wolf (English version: Mutt-Mutt Fruit: Wolf Model/Dog-Dog Fruit, Model: Wolf) - Allows the user to become a full wolf or a half-wolf hybrid similar to a werewolf. Eaten by Jabra.
- Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Tanuki (English version: Dog-Dog Fruit, Model: Tanuki) - Allows the user to become a full tanuki or a half-tanuki hybrid. In the case of Tenguyama Hitetsu's teapot Bunbuku, he becomes a tanuki/teapot hybrid.
- Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Kyubi no Kitsune (English version: Dog-Dog Fruit, Model: Nine-Tailed Fox) - Allows the user to become a full nine-tailed fox or a half-nine-tailed fox hybrid. Eaten by Catarina Devon.
- Neko Neko no Mi (Cat) series
- Neko Neko no Mi, Model: Leopard (English version: Cat-Cat Fruit, Model: Leopard) - Allows the user to become a full leopard or a half-leopard hybrid. Eaten by Rob Lucci.
- Neko Neko no Mi, Model: Saber Tiger (English version: Cat-Cat Fruit, Model: Saber-Toothed Tiger) - Allows the user to become a full Saber-Toothed Tiger or a half-Saber-Toothed Tiger hybrid. Eaten by Who's-Who.
- Zou Zou no Mi (Elephant) series
- Zou Zou no Mi (English version: Elephant-Elephant Fruit/Eleph-Eleph Fruit) - Allows the user to become a full elephant or a half-elephant hybrid. In the case of Spandam's sword Funkfreed, he becomes an elephant/sword hybrid.
- Zou Zou no Mi, Model: Mammoth (English version: Elephant-Elephant Fruit, Model: Mammoth) - Allows the user to become a full mammoth or a half-mammoth hybrid. Eaten by Jack.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi (Dragon) series
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Allosaurus (English version: Dragon-Dragon Fruit, Model: Allosaurus) - Allows the user to become a full Allosaurus or a half-Allosaurus hybrid. Eaten by X Drake.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Spinosaurus (English version: Dragon-Dragon Fruit, Model: Spinosaurus) - Allows the user to become a full Spinosaurus or a half-Spinosaurus hybrid. Eaten by Page One.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Pteranodon (English version: Dragon-Dragon Fruit, Model: Pteranodon) - Allows the user to become a full Pteranodon or a half-Pteranodon hybrid. Eaten by King.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Brachiosaurus (English version: Dragon-Dragon Fruit, Model: Brachiosaurus) - Allows the user to become a full Brachiosaurus or a half-Brachiosaurus hybrid. Eaten by Queen.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Pachycephalosaurus (English version: Dragon-Dragon Fruit, Model: Pachycephalosaurus) - Allows the user to become a full Pachycephalosaurus or a half-Pachycephalosaurus hybrid. Eaten by Ulti.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Triceratops (English version: Dragon-Dragon Fruit, Model: Triceratops) - Allows the user to become a full Triceratops or a half-Triceratops hybrid. Eaten by Sasaki.
- Hebi Hebi no Mi (Snake) series
- Hebi Hebi no Mi, Model: King Cobra (English version: Snake-Snake Fruit, Model: King Cobra) - Allows the user to become a full king cobra or a half-king cobra hybrid. Eaten by Boa Marigold.
- Hebi Hebi no Mi, Model: Anaconda (English version: Snake-Snake Fruit, Model: Anaconda) - Allows the user to become a full anaconda or a half-anaconda hybrid. Eaten by Boa Sandersonia.
- Hebi Hebi no Mi, Model: Yamata no Orochi (English version: Snake-Snake Fruit, Model: Yamata-no-Orochi) - Allows the user to become a full Yamata no Orochi (an eight headed snake) or a half-Yamata no Orochi hybrid. Eaten by Kurozumi Orochi.
- Sara Sara no Mi (Salamander) series
- Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl (English version: Sala-Sala Fruit, Model: Axolotl) - Allows the user to become a full axolotl or a half-axolotl hybrid. In the case of Caesar Clown's poisonous gas Smiley, it became an axolotl/poisonous gas hybrid until its death.
- Mushi Mushi no Mi (Bug) series
- Mushi Mushi no Mi, Model: Kabutomushi (English version: Bug-Bug Fruit, Model: Rhinoceros Beetle) - Allows the user to become a full rhinoceros beetle or a half-rhinoceros beetle hybrid. The user can also fly in either form. Eaten by Kabu.
- Mushi Mushi no Mi, Model: Suzumebachi (English version: Bug-Bug Fruit, Model: Hornet) - Allows the user to become a full hornet or a half-hornet hybrid. The user can also fly in either form. Eaten by Bian.
- Uo Uo no Mi (Fish) series
- Uo Uo no Mi, Model: Seiryu (English version: Fish-Fish Fruit) - Allows the user to become a full Azure Dragon or a half-Azure Dragon hybrid. Eaten by Kaido.
- Kumo Kumo no Mi (Spider) series
- Kumo Kumo no Mi, Model: Rosamygale Grauvogeli (English version: Spider-Spider Fruit, Model: Rosamygale Grauvogeli) - Allows the user to become a Rosamygale grauvogeli or a half-Rosamygale grauvogeli hybrid. Eaten by Black Maria.
- Single model series
- Mogu Mogu no Mi (English version: Diggy-Diggy Fruit/Mole-Mole Fruit) - Allows the user to become a full mole or a half-mole hybrid. The user can also dig underground. Eaten by Drophy.
- Uma Uma no Mi (English version: Horse-Horse Fruit) - Allows the user to become a full horse or a half-horse hybrid. In the case of Gan Fall's pet bird Pierre, he resembles a Pegasus.
- Kame Kame no Mi (English version: Turtle-Turtle Fruit) - Allows the user to become a full turtle or a half-turtle hybrid. In the case of Pekoms, he resembles a Tarasque.
- Total Count: 4
- Tori Tori no Mi (Bird) series
- Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Eagle (English version: Tweet-Tweet Fruit, Model Eagle/Bird-Bird Fruit, Model: Eagle) (Movie 11) - Allows the user to become a full eagle or a half-eagle hybrid. In the case of Schneider's pet bulldog Buzz, it gave his hybrid form the appearance of a Simurgh.
- Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Nue (One Piece x Kyoto) - Allows the user to become a full Nue or a half-Nue hybrid. Eaten by Toratsugu.
- Inu Inu no Mi (Dog) series
- Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Bake-danuki (Unlimited World Red) - Allows the user to become a full bake-danuki or a half-bake-danuki hybrid. In the case of Patrick Redfield's pen Pato, he becomes a bake-danuki/pen hybrid.
- Batto Batto no Mi (Bat) series
- Batto Batto no Mi, Model: Vampire (English version: Bat-Bat Fruit, Model: Vampire) (Unlimited World Red) - Allows the user to become a full vampire or a half-vampire hybrid while also being able to fly and drain the life-force out of anyone. Eaten by Patrick Redfield.
This section lists the Zoan Devil Fruits that have not been identified yet.
- Total Count: 8
- Minotaurus' fruit which allows him to take the form of a Holstein cow.
- Minokoala's fruit which allows him to take the form of a koala.
- Minorhinoceros' fruit which allows him to take the form of a rhinoceros.
- Minozebra's fruit which allows him to take the form of a zebra.
- Onigumo's fruit that lets him sprout spider-like arms from his back as well as grow a spider's abdomen.
- Dalmatian's fruit which allows him to turn into a dalmatian.
- Epoida's fruit which allows him to turn into a caterpillar.
- Minochihuahua's fruit which allows him to take the form of a chihuahua.
- Total Count: 3
- Chiqicheetah's unnamed Devil Fruit that allows him to turn into a cheetah or a half-cheetah hybrid.
- Alpacacino's unnamed Devil Fruit which gave him life and the ability to transform into an alpaca or an alpaca/cannon hybrid.
- All-Hunt Grount's unnamed Devil Fruit that turns his left arm into a monstrously large gorilla-like arm that has red fur and claws.
|— Rob Lucci|
The primary strength of Zoan-type fruits is improving the user's physical abilities and attributes, far surpassing the raw physical power of a typical human. This was demonstrated by Lucci and Kaku, whose Rokushiki attacks became exponentially more powerful when they activated their human-beast hybrid forms. Zoan fruits give the user the ability to augment their preexisting strength and abilities with the strength and abilities of the animal that they transform into. As stated by Rob Lucci, Zoan users are able to further increase their physical strength through training.
As stated by Tony Tony Chopper, a fruit that transforms the user into a carnivorous animal is called a Carnivorous Zoan (肉食の
In addition to the enhancement of the user's physical might, Zoan fruit powers possess a large variety of useful abilities that are mainly dependent on the kind of animal that the fruit allows the user to transform into. By transforming into the animal form or the animal-human hybrid form, the Zoan user gains the features of the animal that they do not have in their normal state. For example:
- Users of bird Zoans and flying insect Zoans gain the ability to fly.
- The mole Zoan allows the user to dig through the earth.
- The king cobra Zoan allows the user to spit globs of venom.
- A spider Zoan allows the user to spin webs to entrap enemies.
- The turtle Zoan allows the user to gain a turtle's hard shell on their back for protection.
- Users of wild canine and feline Zoans, such as Lucci's Leopard Zoan, Jabra's Wolf Zoan, and Chaka's Jackal Zoan, gain sharp teeth and claws.
- Animals who eat the human Zoan gain human intelligence and the ability to speak.
Mythical Zoan-type users gain these advantages to a more extreme degree, as their animals typically possess special supernatural powers that are impossible for naturally existing animals to possess or obtain. For example, the Phoenix Zoan allows the user to generate flames that have healing properties, granting the user the ability to regenerate from attack damage and healing others to a degree.
Inanimate object Zoan users possess additional abilities that organic Zoan user do not possess, based on the nature of the object. For example, Funkfreed, a sword with an elephant Zoan can be used to both charge at opponent's as an elephant and cut opponents with its blade. Lassoo, as a gun that can transform into a dachshund, is able to move around independently while firing projectiles. Bunbuku is able to store hot liquids in its body due to being a teapot, even when it is transformed into a tanuki.
While it has not been stated that inanimate objects cannot be "fed" Paramecia and Logia-type fruits, every Devil Fruit-powered object seen so far has had a Zoan ability.
Like all Devil Fruit abilities, Zoan types can be "awakened". An awakened Zoan grants far greater strength, speed, and durability than un-awakened Zoan powers. This also includes a faster recovery rate, which functions involuntarily, even when the user is unconscious.
Awakened Zoan fruit users have yet to show signs of complex thought, seemingly acting out of instinct and power. All Awakened Zoan users seen so far are always in a form resembling their full beast form, but with human attributes. It is unknown if they became this way permanently upon awakening, or if these forms are a conscious choice.
With the exception of certain supernatural abilities granted by Mythical-type fruits, Zoan fruits only enhance the physical attributes of the users' body. Thus, Zoan-type users are unable to affect their environment in the unique ways that many Paramecia and Logia-type fruit users are capable of; at best, their new forms just give them greater protection from physical and environmental peril. Given that Zoan abilities are most effective in close combat, opponents who can use their environment to fight from a distance may reduce a Zoan user's effectiveness.
Although Zoan users possess the ability to improve their physical power, they may initially have trouble adjusting to their transformed bodies and utilizing their fighting styles with different physical attributes. This was first seen when Kaku tried to fight for the first time after eating the Ushi Ushi no Mi, Model: Giraffe and struggled to use his swords with his arms and neck becoming much longer. However, users who are innovative such as Kaku can typically find ways to use their Zoan transformations to change and improve their fighting styles. New Zoan users can also have difficulty transforming into their hybrid form, potentially resulting in chaos if their full animal form is not suited for their environment, as seen when Kaku fully transformed into a giraffe and fell through the floor. Furthermore, even though Zoan users can increase their abilities when they transform, the users own natural abilities and skills will ultimately affect the results. Kurozumi Orochi, who has been Mythical Zoan-type user for around 41 years and had entered his full beast form, was effortlessly defeated by six of Nine Red Scabbards, despite all of them badly wound after being defeated by Kaido.
Zoan fruits grant different degrees of intelligence based on what the user is and what kind of creature they transform into. Animals who consume the Hito Hito no Mi will gain the intelligence of a human, while objects with Zoan abilities gain the consciousness of that animal. This may create challenges for people who own animals or objects with Zoan powers. Animals who transform into other animals do not increase their intelligence, and so their ability to utilize advantages granted by their transformation may be limited. Inanimate objects retain their animal consciousness even when in their inanimate form, which may result in their usefulness decreasing if they are afflicted by emotions such as fear. This was seen when Funkfreed transformed from his sword form to his elephant form when Franky threatened him. Additionally, inanimate Zoan users can get afflicted by ailments like sickness, as seen by Lassoo having a cold.
If an animal ate a Zoan-class Devil Fruit that is exactly the same as their original species (such as a human eating the Hito Hito no Mi), it would result in a complete waste, as they gain no transformation whatsoever, yet acquire all the typical weaknesses of Devil Fruit users.
Translation and Dub Issues
- The name "Zoan" for these types of Devil Fruit likely comes from zoanthropy. Zoanthropy is a term that refers to metamorphosis of humans into animals, a term that is interchangeable with therianthropy.
- The Japanese term Genjūshu has been translated wrongly as "Crypto Zoan" or "Cryptic Zoan" though 幻獣種 literally means "mythical beast type".
- Going by the naming convention that Paramecia comes from the microbe Paramecium, Zoan shares a similar name to the microbe Protozoan.
- The fact that all Dinosaur Zoans fall under the group of "Ryu Ryu no Mi" (meaning "Dragon") can be explained by how in most Asian languages, the word "Dinosaur" is the same as the word "Dragon".
- One Piece Green: Secret Pieces revealed an early concept of Marguerite, who was intended to have a black cat model of the Neko Neko no Mi, and Inazuma who was intended to be a Zoan Devil Fruit user who could turn into a crab.
- The Zoan class was the last of the three types of Devil Fruit to be introduced in the story as well as the first type shown to be capable of "awakening".
- The Zoan type is the only Devil Fruit type that has yet to be shown with two known users for a single fruit.
- All Mythical Zoan users introduced so far, besides those that are non-canon, have each been affiliated with one the Three Great Powers.
- Two of them have epithets related to their transformation.
- In contrast to the Ancient Zoan class, no two canonical Mythical Zoan are within the same organization.
- Interestingly enough, the first two Mythical Zoan users were both introduced in the same chapter and episode, though their abilities aren't introduced until much later.
- The Tama Tama no Mi, an unclassified Devil Fruit eaten by Tamago, allows the user to transform into an animal (in this case, evolve from an egg form into a chick, then a chicken), and to regenerate their body when broken.
- Curiously, some users (like Queen and Jack) keep their human haircut while transformed into their full animal form, while others (like Lucci) do not. Other users were also seen to keep some of their human form features in their full animal form, such as Sasaki keeping his teeth and signature canines in his animal form, despite Triceratops not possessing teeth at all or Ulti keeping her horns in her full animal form.
- The Beasts Pirates have the largest number of Zoan fruit users in a single organization, with 9 natural Devil Fruit users (10 if the traitorous X Drake is included), plus over 500 additional Gifters.
- Therianthropy - A Wikipedia article about human to animal metamorphosis.