Zoan is one of the three Devil Fruit types. This type of fruit allows the user to transform into another species and inter-species hybrid forms at will. Zoan types are especially effective in close combat. The term was first used when Dalton's Devil Fruit was used to attack Wapol.
Zoan-type Devil Fruits grant the user the ability to transform into another species. Zoan Fruits provide the user with three basic forms:
- Human Form (人型 Hito-gata?): The user's natural form prior to consuming the fruit.
- Human-Beast Form (人獣型 Jinjū-gata?): A hybrid form, combining both the original and the fruit-bestowed species into an unusual form (usually in a bizarre way where the size is greatly exaggerated).
- Beast Form (獣型 Kemono-gata?): A form in which the user is fully transformed into the fruit-bestowed species.
However, through training, it is possible for Zoan users to unlock additional transformations; for instance, Marco could transform selective parts of his body, and Chopper could transform into at least seven different forms, even without the use of a Rumble Ball.
A majority of the Zoan Devil Fruits come in different groups, known as "series", differentiated by specific species classification, known as "models". These groups are divided based on the different variations of animal; for example, the Jackal, Dachshund, and Wolf Fruits fall into the Inu Inu (Dog) series; while the Bison and Giraffe Fruits belong to the Ushi Ushi (Ox) series; and the Anaconda, King Cobra, and Yamata no Orochi Fruits are of the Hebi Hebi (snake) series.
Even for fruits without a model, there may be other fruits within the same series that do have one; for example, Chopper's Hito Hito no Mi and Sengoku's Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Daibutsu. Sengoku's fruit is also unique in that rather than turning him into a living being, it transforms him into an animate golden statue, making it rather unique among the Zoan-class.
Zoan hybrid forms are almost always bipedal. The only known hybrid forms of human users shown so far that were not bipedal are the Gorgon Sisters' Hebi Hebi no Mi fruits (as snakes do not have legs). Another effect shown is that for many different known Zoan users, when in a half-human half-animal hybrid, sometimes the user tends to get bigger than they originally are, even to giant proportions.
Inanimate Object ZoanEdit
Some years before the current timeline, Dr. Vegapunk discovered a technique that allows one to make an inanimate object "eat" a Devil Fruit. The details of the technique have not yet been revealed. So far, Zoan is the only type of Devil Fruit that inanimate objects have been shown as being able to absorb. Inanimate object Zoans seem to be very loyal to whomever owns them.
Objects that have "ingested" a Zoan Fruit gain the mobility, abilities, and intelligence of the animal they turn into. This can be a drawback, as the object also gains a living creatures ability to feel pain, fear, and becomes susceptible to disease.
The technique that allows an object to eat a Zoan fruit is not limited to solid materials, as gaseous slime can also be used as a medium.
The six cases in which an inanimate object have absorbed a Devil Fruit are:
- Mr. 4's bazooka Lassoo: Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Dachshund
- Spandam's sword Funkfreed: Zou Zou no Mi
- Caesar Clown's pet slime Smiley: Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl
- Tenguyama Hitetsu's teapot Bunbuku: Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Tanuki
- Shuzo's bazooka Alpacacino ≠
- Patrick Redfield's pen Pato: Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Bake-danuki ≠
The Zoan class Devil Fruit has three known sub-classes that exist beside the standard variety: Ancient, Mythical, and Artificial. The first two are considered to be more rare than regular Zoan.
Ancient Zoan (「
It is implied that Ancient Zoans bestow greater physical strength than normal Zoans, something in keeping with what has been so far exhibited by those wielding Ancient Zoan powers. For example, Drake, in his Allosaurus form, easily bit into a Pacifista's harder-than-steel armor, Jack made concrete buildings collapse with a swing of his Mammoth trunk, King could knock over the Queen Mama Chanter by ramming it in his Pteranodon form, and Page One as a Spinosaurus was able to physically match a Raid Suit-donning Sanji in battle.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Allosaurus: Eaten by X Drake.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Spinosaurus: Eaten by Page One.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Pteranodon: Eaten by King.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Brachiosaurus: Eaten by Queen.
- Zou Zou no Mi, Model: Mammoth: Eaten by Jack.
Mythical Zoan (「
In accordance with their rarity, Mythical Zoans seem very powerful and the strongest among Zoan types, especially because of their most distinguishing facet: the bestowing of special, unique abilities supplementary to the transformation itself; such as the phoenix Zoan's generation of flames that have healing properties, or the Daibutsu Zoan's shockwave projection.
Five Mythical Zoan powers have been shown in canon:
- Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Phoenix: Eaten by Marco.
- Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Daibutsu: Eaten by Sengoku.
- The currently unnamed Eastern dragon Zoan: Eaten by Kaido.
- Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Kyubi no Kitsune: Eaten by Catarina Devon.
- Hebi Hebi no Mi, Model: Yamata no Orochi: Eaten by Kurozumi Orochi.
Non-canonically, three more Mythical Zoans have been seen:
- Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Bake-danuki: Eaten by Pato.
- Batto Batto no Mi, Model: Vampire: Eaten by Patrick Redfield.
- Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Nue: Eaten by Toratsugu.
- Further information: Artificial Devil Fruit
Artificial Zoan is a type of Zoan Devil Fruit created through non-natural means.
In the Punk Hazard Arc, it is revealed that Dr. Vegapunk attempted to create his own Devil Fruit. However, the resulting fruit was a failure. Momonosuke found the failed Devil Fruit and ate it out of hunger. As a result, he was transformed into an Eastern-type dragon, though he has shown little to no control over the ability.
After that, Caesar Clown succeeded in designing specialized Artificial Devil Fruits which he named "SMILE", but is only able to produce Zoan types. They are created through the substance concocted by Caesar known as SAD. Kaido, one of the Yonko, uses them to create an army of Zoan users in collaboration with Doflamingo.
Unlike normal Devil Fruits, artificial Devil Fruits have ring patterns rather than the typical swirl pattern.
|Dalton||Tony Tony Chopper||Pell||Lassoo||Drophy|
|Kaku||Boa Marigold||Boa Sandersonia||Minotaurus||Minokoala|
|X Drake||Jack||Page One||King||Queen|
|Marco||Sengoku||Kaido||Catarina Devon||Kurozumi Orochi|
|Solitaire||Madilloman||Bao Huang||Wolf Gifter||?????|
|Trio the Grip|
- †: the character is deceased.
- *: the character's status is unknown, or show additional information. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
- ≠: the character is non-canon.
- ‡: the character is no longer part of this group. Hovering the symbol may give further details.
List of Zoan-Type FruitsEdit
- Ushi Ushi no Mi (Ox) series
- Ushi Ushi no Mi, Model: Bison (English versions: Ox-Ox Fruit/Ox-Ox Fruit, Bison Model/Ox-Ox Fruit, Bison Form) - Allows the user to become a full bison or a half-bison hybrid. Eaten by Dalton.
- Ushi Ushi no Mi, Model: Giraffe (English versions: English versions: Ox-Ox Fruit, Giraffe Model/Ox-Ox Fruit, Model: Giraffe) - Allows the user to become a full giraffe or a half-giraffe hybrid. Eaten by Kaku.
- Hito Hito no Mi (Human) series
- Hito Hito no Mi (English versions: Human-Human Fruit) - Allows any animal that eats it to get human characteristics like Tony Tony Chopper did when he ate the fruit.
- Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Daibutsu (English versions: Human-Human Fruit, Daibutsu Model/Human-Human Fruit, Model: Buddha) - Allows the user to become a Daibutsu (a giant gold Buddha) or a half-Daibutsu hybrid. Eaten by Sengoku.
- Tori Tori no Mi (Bird) series
- Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Falcon (English version: Tweet-Tweet Fruit, Falcon Type/Bird-Bird Fruit, Model: Falcon) - Allows the user to become a full falcon or a half-falcon hybrid. Eaten by Pell.
- Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Phoenix - Allows the user to become a full phoenix or a half-phoenix hybrid. Eaten by Marco.
- Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Albatross - Allows the user to become a full albatross or a half-albatross hybrid. Eaten by Morgans.
- Inu Inu no Mi (Dog) series
- Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Dachshund (English version: Mutt-Mutt Fruit/Mutt-Mutt Fruit, Dachshund Form/Dog-Dog Fruit, Model: Dachshund) - Allows the user to become a full dachshund or a half-dachshund hybrid. In the case of Babe's bazooka-like gun Lassoo, he became a dachshund/gun hybrid.
- Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Jackal (English version: Mutt-Mutt Fruit: Jackal Strike/Dog-Dog Fruit, Model: Jackal/Mutt-Mutt Fruit: Jackal Model) - Allows the user to become a full jackal or a half-jackal hybrid. Eaten by Chaka.
- Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Wolf (English version: Mutt-Mutt Fruit: Wolf Model/Dog-Dog Fruit, Model: Wolf) - Allows the user to become a full wolf or a half-wolf hybrid similar to a werewolf. Eaten by Jabra.
- Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Tanuki - Allows the user to become a full tanuki or a half-tanuki hybrid. In the case of Tenguyama Hitetsu's teapot Bunbuku, he becomes a tanuki/teapot hybrid.
- Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Kyubi no Kitsune (English version: Dog-Dog Fruit, Model: Nine Tailed Fox) - Allows the user to become a full nine-tailed fox or a half-nine-tailed fox hybrid, and allows the user to become perfect clones of other people. Eaten by Catarina Devon.
- Neko Neko no Mi (Cat) series
- Neko Neko no Mi, Model: Leopard (English version: Cat-Cat Fruit, Model: Leopard) - Allows the user to become a full leopard or a half-leopard hybrid. Eaten by Rob Lucci.
- Zou Zou no Mi (Elephant) series
- Zou Zou no Mi (English version: Elephant-Elephant Fruit/Eleph-Eleph Fruit) - Allows the user to become a full elephant or a half-elephant hybrid. In the case of Spandam's sword Funkfreed, he becomes an elephant/sword hybrid.
- Zou Zou no Mi, Model: Mammoth (English version: Elephant-Elephant Fruit, Model: Mammoth) - Allows the user to become a full mammoth or a half-mammoth hybrid. Eaten by Jack.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi (Dragon) series
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Allosaurus (English version: Dragon-Dragon Fruit, Model: Allosaurus) - Allows the user to become a full Allosaurus or a half-Allosaurus hybrid. Eaten by X Drake.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Spinosaurus (English version: Dragon-Dragon Fruit, Model: Spinosaurus) - Allows the user to become a full Spinosaurus or a half-Spinosaurus hybrid. Eaten by Page One.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Pteranodon (English version: Dragon-Dragon Fruit, Model: Pteranodon) - Allows the user to become a full Pteranodon or a half-Pteranodon hybrid. Eaten by King.
- Ryu Ryu no Mi, Model: Brachiosaurus (English version: Dragon-Dragon Fruit, Model: Brachiosaurus) - Allows the user to become a full Brachiosaurus or a half-Brachiosaurus hybrid. Eaten by Queen.
- Hebi Hebi no Mi (Snake) series
- Hebi Hebi no Mi, Model: King Cobra (English version: Snake-Snake Fruit, Model: King Cobra) - Allows the user to become a full king cobra or a half-king cobra hybrid. Eaten by Boa Marigold.
- Hebi Hebi no Mi, Model: Anaconda (English version: Snake-Snake Fruit, Model: Anaconda) - Allows the user to become a full anaconda or a half-anaconda hybrid. Eaten by Boa Sandersonia.
- Hebi Hebi no Mi, Model: Yamata no Orochi (English version: Snake-Snake Fruit, Model: Yamata-no-Orochi) - Allows the user to become a full Yamata no Orochi or a half-Yamata no Orochi hybrid. Eaten by Kurozumi Orochi.
- Sara Sara no Mi (Salamander) series
- Sara Sara no Mi, Model: Axolotl (English version: Sala-Sala Fruit, Model: Axolotl) - Allows the user to become a full axolotl or a half-axolotl hybrid. In the case of Caesar Clown's slime Smiley, it became an axolotl/slime hybrid until it's death.
- Mushi Mushi no Mi (Bug) series
- Mushi Mushi no Mi, Model: Kabutomushi (English version: Bug-Bug Fruit, Model: Rhinoceros Beetle) - Allows the user to become a full rhinoceros beetle or a half-rhinoceros beetle hybrid. The user can also fly in either form. Eaten by Kabu.
- Mushi Mushi no Mi, Model: Suzumebachi (English version: Bug-Bug Fruit, Model: Hornet) - Allows the user to become a full hornet or a half-hornet hybrid. The user can also fly in either form. Eaten by Bian.
- Single model series
- Mogu Mogu no Mi (English version: Diggy-Diggy Fruit/Mole-Mole Fruit) - Allows the user to become a full mole or a half-mole hybrid. The user can also dig underground. Eaten by Drophy.
- Uma Uma no Mi (English version: Horse-Horse Fruit) - Allows the user to become a full horse or a half-horse hybrid. In the case of Gan Fall's pet bird Pierre, he resembles a Pegasus.
- Kame Kame no Mi (English version: Turtle-Turtle Fruit) - Allows the user to become a full turtle or a half-turtle hybrid. In the case of Pekoms, he resembles a Tarasque.
- Tori Tori no Mi (Bird) series
- Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Eagle (English version: Tweet-Tweet Fruit, Model Eagle/Bird-Bird Fruit, Model: Eagle) (Movie 11) - Allows the user to become a full eagle or a half-eagle hybrid. In the case of Schneider's pet bulldog Buzz, it gave his hybrid form the appearance of a Simurgh.
- Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Nue (One Piece x Kyoto) - Allows the user to become a full Nue or a half-Nue hybrid. Eaten by Toratsugu.
- Inu Inu no Mi (Dog) series
- Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Bake-danuki (Unlimited World Red) - Allows the user to become a full bake-danuki or a half-bake-danuki hybrid. In the case of Patrick Redfield's pen Pato, he becomes a bake-danuki/pen hybrid.
- Batto Batto no Mi (Bat) series
- Batto Batto no Mi, Model: Vampire (English version: Bat-Bat Fruit, Model: Vampire) (Unlimited World Red) - Allows the user to become a full vampire or a half-vampire hybrid while also being able to fly and drain the life-force out of anyone. Eaten by Patrick Redfield.
This section lists the Zoan Devil Fruits that haven't been identified yet.
- Minotaurus' fruit which allows him to take the form of a Holstein cow.
- Minokoala's fruit which allows him to take the form of a koala.
- Minorhinoceros' fruit which allows him to take the form of a rhinoceros.
- Minozebra's fruit which allows him to take the form of a zebra.
- Onigumo's fruit that lets him sprout spider-like arms from his back as well as grow a spider's abdomen.
- Dalmatian's fruit which allows him to turn into a dalmatian.
- Epoida's fruit which allows him to turn into a caterpillar.
- Minochihuahua's fruit which allows him to take the form of a chihuahua.
- Kaido's fruit which allows him to transform into an eastern dragon.
- Chiqicheetah's unnamed Devil Fruit that allows him to turn into a cheetah or a half-cheetah hybrid.
- Alpacacino's unnamed Devil Fruit which gave him life and the ability to transform into an alpaca or an alpaca/cannon hybrid.
- All-Hunt Grount's unnamed Devil Fruit that turns his left arm into a monstrously large gorilla-like arm that has red fur and claws.
The primary strength of Zoan-type fruits is improving the user's physical attributes. As stated by Rob Lucci, Zoan users are able to increase their physical strength through training, surpassing the raw physical power of a typical human. This was demonstrated by Lucci and Kaku, whose Rokushiki attacks became exponentially more powerful when they activated their human-beast hybrid forms.
Overall, Zoan fruit powers possess a large variety of strengths that are mainly dependent on the kind of animal that the fruit allows the user to transform into. Typically, by transforming into the animal or animal hybrid, the Zoan user gains a feature of the animal that they do not have in their normal state. For example:
- Animals who eat the Hito Hito no Mi gain human intelligence.
- Users of avian and flying insect Zoans gain the ability of flight.
- Users of wild canine and feline Zoans, such as Lucci, Jabra, and Chaka, gain sharp teeth and claws.
- The Hebi Hebi no Mi, Model: King Cobra allows the user to transmit venom.
- The Kame Kame no Mi allows the user to gain a turtle's hard shell on their back for protection.
Mythical Zoan-type users gain these advantages to a more extreme degree, as their animals typically possess abilities that are impossible for naturally existing animals to possess or obtain. For example, the Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Phoenix grants the ability of physical regeneration and healing others, the Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Kyubi no Kitsune grants the ability to transform into other people, and the unnamed dragon fruit eaten by Kaido grants the ability to create clouds to walk in the air and breathe fire.
Ultimately, Zoan fruits give the user the ability to combine their strength and abilities with the natural strength and abilities of their animal transformation, with the potential of increasing their physical strength further. This can be seen in an increased variety of ways with inanimate Zoan users. For example, Funkfreed can be used both as a sword to cut opponents and as an elephant to charge them. Lassoo, as a gun that can transform into a dachshund, is able to move around independently while firing projectiles. Bunbuku is able to store hot liquids in its body due to being a teapot, even when it is transformed into a tanuki. While it has not been stated that inanimate objects cannot be "fed" Paramecia and Logia-type fruits, every Devil Fruit-powered object seen so far has had a Zoan ability.
As stated by Tony Tony Chopper, a fruit that transforms the user into a carnivorous animal is called a Carnivorous Zoan (肉食の
Like all Devil Fruit abilities, Zoan types can be "awakened". An awakened Zoan grants far greater strength, speed, and durability than un-awakened Zoan powers. This also includes a faster recovery rate, which functions involuntarily, even when the user is unconscious.
Awakened Zoan fruit users have yet to show signs of complex thought, seemingly acting out of instinct and power. All Awakened Zoan users seen so far are always in a form resembling their full beast form, but with human attributes. It is unknown if they became this way permanently upon awakening, or if these forms are a conscious choice.
With the exception of certain supernatural abilities granted by Mythical-type fruits, Zoan fruits only enhance the physical attributes of the users' body. Thus, Zoan-type users are unable to affect their environment in the unique ways that many Paramecia and Logia-type fruit users are capable of; at best, their new forms just give them greater protection from physical and environmental peril. Given that Zoan abilities are most effective in close combat, opponents who can use their environment to fight from a distance may reduce a Zoan user's effectiveness.
Although Zoan users possess the ability to improve their physical power, they may initially have trouble adjusting to their transformed bodies and utilizing their fighting styles with different physical attributes. This was first seen when Kaku tried to fight for the first time after eating the Ushi Ushi no Mi, Model: Giraffe and struggled to use his swords with his arms and neck becoming much longer. However, users who are innovative such as Kaku can typically find ways to use their Zoan transformations to change and improve their fighting styles. New Zoan users can also have difficulty transforming into their hybrid form, potentially resulting in chaos if their full animal form is not suited for their environment, as seen when Kaku fully transformed into a giraffe and fell through the floor.
Zoan fruits grant different degrees of intelligence based on what the user is and what kind of creature they transform into. Animals who consume the Hito Hito no Mi will gain the intelligence of a human, while objects with Zoan abilities gain the consciousness of that animal. This may create challenges for people who own animals or objects with Zoan powers. Animals who transform into other animals do not increase their intelligence, and so their ability to utilize advantages granted by their transformation may be limited. Inanimate objects retain their animal consciousness even when in their inanimate form, which may result in their usefulness decreasing if they are afflicted by emotions such as fear. This was seen when Funkfreed transformed from his sword form to his elephant form when Franky threatened him. Additionally, inanimate Zoan users can get afflicted by ailments like sickness, as seen by Lassoo having a cold.
If an animal ate a Zoan-class Devil Fruit that is exactly the same as their original species (such as a human eating the Hito Hito no Mi), it would result in a complete waste, as they gain no transformation whatsoever, yet acquire all the typical weaknesses of Devil Fruit users.
Translation and Dub IssuesEdit
- The name "Zoan" for these types of Devil Fruit likely comes from zoanthropy. Zoanthropy is a term that refers to metamorphosis of humans into animals, a term that is interchangeable with therianthropy.
- The Japanese term Genjūshu has been translated wrongly as "Crypto Zoan" or "Cryptic Zoan" though 幻獣種 literally means "mythical beast type".
- Going by the naming convention that Paramecia comes from the microbe Paramecium, Zoan shares a similar name to the microbe Protozoan.
- The fact that all Dinosaur Zoans fall under the group of "Ryu Ryu no Mi" (meaning "Dragon") can be explained by how in most Asian languages, the word "Dinosaur" is the same as the word "Dragon".
- One Piece Green: Secret Pieces revealed an early concept of Marguerite, who was intended to have a black cat model of the Neko Neko no Mi, and Inazuma who was intended to be a Zoan Devil Fruit user who could turn into a crab.
- The Zoan class was the last of the three types of Devil Fruit to be introduced in the story as well as the first type shown to be capable of "awakening".
- The Zoan type is the only Devil Fruit type that has yet to be shown with two known users for a single fruit.
- Two canon Mythical Zoan users introduced so far have an epithet related to their transformation.
- The Tama Tama no Mi, an unclassified Devil Fruit eaten by Tamago, allows the user to transform into an animal (in this case, evolve from an egg form into a chick, then a chicken), and to regenerate their body when broken.
- Therianthropy - A Wikipedia article about human to animal metamorphosis.